Thread: Prop to jet conversion

Default Prop to jet conversion

I have a 35 HP Evinrude. I want to swap lower end unit to a jet and wondering how expensive it may be, or would it even be worth it. I run a lot of rivers in the interior and as you can imagine my prop and skag are beat to H###. Any experience or advice/good and bad would be appreciated.

Default Jet

The swap is easy, forking over around 1800 bucks is what hurts. Try to find a used one, they are easy to rebuild and to work on. All it is really is a fancy water pump. I have had the pump on my 150 off several times and have reshimmed it and changed the water pump. I'm buying a 25 merc and looked into getting both units for it. Thats how I know what they cost new. Might try to buy a beat up motor with the jet. If I recall right that jet pump fits on several outboards, so you might find one that way. You might be able to sell your lower unti as well, they cost allot as well. Good luck, as they say (A hole in the water to pour money into.)

Steve

Default Power

Make sure you have enough power to convert to a jet. Remember you lose 30% of you hp with a jet, but in my experience a 40 hp prop has more guts than a 65hp jet, sooo...
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the replies. It should have plenty of power as it's on a 14 ft flat bottom. With the prop on there now it's to powerful. I have to load the front down with all my gear, otherwise the front stands straight up on me. Might be time to just look for a used motor. Thanks for the advice.

Talking

Well the other posters did a good job of explaining the whole subject. From experience I have a 16' seaark jon with a 50HP 2 stroke with both prop and jet. Yes you'll loose 30% power and I've seen pumps from 600-1400 used-new for this size motor.

I have also had the good fortune/bad fortune of running a 25 prop evinrude two stroke witha a pump put on my boat and I only went 12mph lightly loaded just barely on step with it.

That is the secret getting on step. My pump size for the 50 was way bigger than the pump for the 25.

I'd strongly advise you look for a bigger jet motor. I have seen a large number of older 2 stroke jets on alaska craigs list for 1500 to 2500 and you will be way happier with out having to swith lower units (Which I do cause I live in SE and getting to the rivers is the problem).

Now convert your 35 and put it on those 10 and 12' jons and you'll fly.

Hope this helps!

Sobie2

Thanks Sobie, I think I'm gonna try Alaska craig list. I haven't been there yet and I've seen it mentioned on some other threads.