Thread: 30-06 to 338-06 making brass

Default 30-06 to 338-06 making brass

I went and formed 100 cases for my 338-06 from some 30-06 brass that I had laying around. I was talking to a guy at work and he said that I should have annealed it before I sized the brass up and now those brass might crack after the first fireing? Has anyone done this before with out annealing the brass? Do I need to chuck these brass and start over again?

If using previously fired cases then annealing is recommended, but may not be "necessary". If you are sizing virgin brass, it has already been annealed during its manufacture and it is not needed.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Just anneal them now.

Default making 338/06 from 06 brass

Whoever told you the case necks will split doesn't know what they are talking about.. I've made 100s and never annealed a case neck yet.. it's the work hardening of the brass that causes it to get hard and crack/split, and that can mean a LOT of resizings. Just load it and use it...

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Whoever told you the case necks will split doesn't know what they are talking about.. I've made 100s and never annealed a case neck yet.. it's the work hardening of the brass that causes it to get hard and crack/split, and that can mean a LOT of resizings. Just load it and use it...
    Having shot various wildcats for many years, I'm not guessing nor wrong when I say that sizing previously fired brass from .308 to .338 will sometimes cause splits in the neck. Not every time, but it will sometimes. I've had necks split during sizing, during firing and occasionally after the bullet is seated, but before the cartridge is fired. Using new brass I do not recall having a neck split, but previously fired cases are another story.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Having shot various wildcats for many years, I'm not guessing nor wrong when I say that sizing previously fired brass from .308 to .338 will sometimes cause splits in the neck. Not every time, but it will sometimes. I've had necks split during sizing, during firing and occasionally after the bullet is seated, but before the cartridge is fired. Using new brass I do not recall having a neck split, but previously fired cases are another story.
    +1 on the fired brass, some will split some won't and ya chuck the ones that don't make it. Also agree with rbuck351, anneal them now if it's a worry to you . . . it will help their longevity. I'd not bother with 06 brass, I have like 10 buckets of the stuff so itís cheaper to me than the propane.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    My experience exactly. I don't use once fired to neck to another caliber, use those for the parent caliber. Buy new 30-06 brass and neck size it to 338.
    Mike

I figured to do that with my 338/06 AI. Buy new brass and run through Ackley die to expand to .338 then fireform it with rather Mild loads. Never even figured to Anneal anything. That is why I based my custom off a "get the brass by the gallons 30/06".

I went the other direction from some of you. For my 338-06 AI, I had a bunch of once fired 30-06. I annealed it, sized it, shot some medium loads out of it for practice and then loaded the Ackley loads. Some of my brass has been sized 4 or 5 times now and I haven't lost any to split cases yet. It might just be a coincidence but i think it makes a good argument to anneal.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Some folks make this much more difficult than it needs to be. In my case when going from '06 brass to 338-06, I punch out the primer with a pin and then re-prime and load. The neck size of a fired 06 round does not need any type sizing to hold a 338 bullet. But what do I know? The brass should be annealed after 2-3 firing regardless of cal. J.

Default dies and expander buttons

The dies you use can make a big difference in necking up. RCBS are about the worse with their small expander buttons while the Lee and Hornady dies have long tapered expander buttons that make the chore a lot easier and do a better job.

I do have a RCBS die for making .35 Whelen from '06 and it works pretty well; I'm not sure if they still offer it.

I've sized 7mm Rem mag up to my .40 wildcat without loosing very many cases even without annealing but I do it in small stages. I could use larger caliber brass to start but the 7mm Rem Mag has the right shoulder and I have lots of it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I made a ton of 35 Whelen brass years ago from 30-06 before I knew anything about annealing. I had very few failures and some the cases had been fired an undetermined number of times. I do have a tapered expander on my RCBS die so the transition from 30 to 35 caliber is pretty easy. I am making 400 Whelen cases now and the need for annealing is very apparent. The failure rate is high without it. The jump from 30 to 411 is considerably more and puts a fair strain on the neck without annealing. Use the brass you made and don't worry about it.

I just made 50 338-06 out of virgin Lapua brass. It might not have needed it, but I annealed them after sizing.

With that expensive Lapua brass I'd take the extra steps to preseve it. With the range pick-up stuff I use it isn't worth the trouble when I make my .35 Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by FROST18E View Post
    I just made 50 338-06 out of virgin Lapua brass. It might not have needed it, but I annealed them after sizing.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

maybe put alittle lube inside the neck and just FL resize them in the 338-06 Die.

shot the 338-06 for years with 30-06 brass using RCBS 338-06 Dies easy to reload!
    Alaska