Thread: Kanektok River Float

Smile Kanektok River Float

Got back Friday from floating the Kanektok River for 8 days. Put in at Pegati Lake and floated down to Quinhagak. WX was cold with some windy rainy nights but we caught lots of fish. Started with lake trout, grayling, rainbows and hit ton of sockeye and a few kings. Big fat dollies too. We only had 8 days and I'd recommend more like 12 to 14 to really take advantage of camping in spots for extended days to fish all the great holes plus it saves on the # of camp setups you have to do.

Lots of bear, a few caribou, lots of birds and a ton of beaver dams, only 1 beaver sighting though. Enjoyed fresh salmon on the BBQ. Holler if you want trip details, its a great float and very doable for a family as a DIY.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Sounds like a great trip! That river is loaded with all kinds of fish species. I spent a week at the end of June & early July on the lower river and it was just insane King and Chum fishing. The outfitter provided access to our own Jet boats (2-3 per boat) for self guided fishing. We caught fish pulling plugs, back bouncing, bobber and jig, and drift fishing from shore. One morning my buddy and I landed over fourty Kings to 40lbs fishing from the bank. The Kings on the Kanektok have incredible strength and stamina and really tear up tackle. Chrome Chums were also thick in certain sections. Upriver the rainbows were starving and on a wicked mouse bite. I will be back next year.

Cool. Sounds like you timed it just right. How were water levels - average?
    Don't know if theyve had much rain there. Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 07-19-2011 at 05:54. Reason: wrong link

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Cool. Sounds like you timed it just right. How were water levels - average?
    Don't know if theyve had much rain there. Thanks for the post.
    Ya, timing I think was great. Sockeye real close to lake and very bright. Caught fish the entire float. Rainbows got fatter as we floated down. Dollies were giants...and plenty of monster grayling. Kings were spotty but we managed a few decent size. One laker average size (I missed that one on camera). Water level was OK. Very little if any real dragging needed. Just a really good time for a DIY trip. It rained a few times not very hard, but was cold. I need a better sleeping bag that's for sure.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel