Thread: Shore fising in Sitka

Default Shore fising in Sitka

Hi,
    My wife and i are planning on taking an Alaskan cruise (in 2012) that will be docking in Sitka. We have taken a cruise to Alaska before and we have shore fished at Ketchikan and Juneau but have never been to Sitka. Our trip will be sometime between mid July and mid August. We will be in port only 8 or 10 hours.

It would be appreciated if anyone can offer advice on some places we can fish that are reachable either by foot or a short taxi ride. Will want to fish for salmon but won't be keeping any fish so we really don't care what type of salmon we catch. We enjoy pinks and chums as much as anything.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Charlie

A year out ........ planning ahead huh. Indian river is a short walk from where they will litter you off the cruise ship. For that matter, everything in Sitka is a short taxi ride or walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    A year out ........ planning ahead huh. Indian river is a short walk from where they will litter you off the cruise ship. For that matter, everything in Sitka is a short taxi ride or walk away.
    i know there is the river that you cross when your headed out on sawmill. i think it may be indian river
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I have fished Sitka the past 8 years. I believe there are only 23 miles of road total. If you head out of town toward "Kingfisher" Charters/Lodge there is a creek with an adjoining park on the "ocean" side of the road. Typically in late July there are some pinks milling around the creek where it empties into the sound/ocean. However, I believe, not an expert, the pinks sort of mass up in alternate years.

Wahoo,
    Thanks for the reply.
    How far would this area be from where the ship will dock?

Thanks again.

Charlie

Only about 25 miles of road total in Sitka. I would guess about 5-6 miles from the local docks--or, there, a cheap cab drive. Just make sure you have your cell to phone the cab company to pick you up when done fishing.

Also, for a great time, visit the Raptor Center.

off to Alaska tomorrow. Chrome Bay.

tight lines!