Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 230,000 reds through the sonar on Sunday!

Default 230,000 reds through the sonar on Sunday!

Holy crap! Friday was 2k+, Sat was 28k, and the new sonar count for yesterday was 230k! WOW just WOW. I will be down there tomorrow eve! Get em while it's on boys/girls! This must be the school that the planes spotted last week.

Heading down tonight to fish the lower Kenai bank. Any reports on how they're doing down there today? Thanks!

230,000 reds in one day. Wow. Just curious if that is a record for the Kenai. Anyone know? I know it's the biggest day that I can remember. Dipping was great Saturday morning and I was running around trying to grab some fish lest they be a smaller early part of the push and get "mopped up" by the incredible number of boats out there. Well......as you might guess there really was no reason to worry and when I pulled the boat out of the water around 5PM after taking several groups to get there fish everywhere I looked I saw jumpers two or three at a time. That's something I've seen commercial fishing in Bristol Bay only rarely, seen more often with Humpies in Southeastern and never seen in that kind of broad spread on the Kenai before. It just makes you feel good to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bayrunner View Post
    230,000 reds in one day. Wow. Just curious if that is a record for the Kenai. Anyone know? I know it's the biggest day that I can remember. Dipping was great Saturday morning and I was running around trying to grab some fish lest they be a smaller early part of the push and get "mopped up" by the incredible number of boats out there. Well......as you might guess there really was no reason to worry and when I pulled the boat out of the water around 5PM after taking several groups to get there fish everywhere I looked I saw jumpers two or three at a time. That's something I've seen commercial fishing in Bristol Bay only rarely, seen more often with Humpies in Southeastern and never seen in that kind of broad spread on the Kenai before. It just makes you feel good to see it!
    I am not going to make it up to the great land this year, been reading allot of posts about the massive run - would really like to see some pictures if anyone has taken any.

I'm pretty sure the 230,000 is total for the year so far. Could be wrong but that's the way I read it.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Negative...............that is a one day count.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 230,000 is total for the year so far. Could be wrong but that's the way I read it.
    The cumulative is ~322,000 for 2011

Default Swimming Speed

I can't believe how the fish count jumped the way it did. Absolutely amazing. I have been watching it for years and have never seen anything like it. Truly the perfect storm.

I land in ANC on the 23rd. Where will that pile of fish be by then? How long do they take to hit the Russian River confluence? At least the onces that go that far?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Negative...............that is a one day count.
    Really? Got a link?
    Never mind, I just looked at the updated sonar count. My bad. Holy cow!!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTINFOOL1 View Post
    I can't believe how the fish count jumped the way it did. Absolutely amazing. I have been watching it for years and have never seen anything like it. Truly the perfect storm.

I land in ANC on the 23rd. Where will that pile of fish be by then? How long do they take to hit the Russian River confluence? At least the onces that go that far?
    I would concentrate your efforts in the lower river Centennial Park, Swiftwater, and Bings to name a few. Fish will be more concentrated with more on the way. Check out the Russian River confluence on your way in.

Get ready to see TODAY'S count, another incredible number! ;-)

Where are you guys getting these numbers before ADFG publishes them?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    I would concentrate your efforts in the lower river Centennial Park, Swiftwater, and Bings to name a few. Fish will be more concentrated with more on the way. Check out the Russian River confluence on your way in.
    7 to 10 days for the fish to make it to the Russian, so a week to go on that end. Here is a link for fish counts http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...ADFG=main.home

And they keep coming. Another 113k + for Wednesday plus the OTF was 135.

Default Dipnet and sportfish??

Looking at regs and cant get an answer. Going dipping on sat. with everyone else in the state, and hoping to hit the upper Kenai on sunday on the way back. Question, can you dipnet and get fish to then sportfish later in the day on the same river?? Any help would be great, not looking to get a ticket for a few fish.

MNAK08
    Yes it is possible as both as exclusive from each other just make darn sure F&G can destinguish between personal use fish and sport caught fish. Limit's in the lower kenai have been raised to 6 per day 6 in possesion also.

should be a complete sheepfest...what a waste

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

How will the fishing be 8.10-8.23?

Default CDFU post

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    should be a complete sheepfest...what a waste

The CDFU believes that Alaskans catching and eating Alaskan salmon is a waste?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

The CDFU believes that Alaskans catching and eating Alaskan salmon is a waste?

Really?
    Pretty sure the CDFU sees a State Resource given away under the guise of "Personal Use" to any Tom, Dick, or Harry outside of Alaska as a waste.

Likewise I'd wager that they also feel whole carcasses dumped in local creeks, or last years freezer burned fish hauled off to the dump to make room for a fresh batch of wasted salmon is most certainly a...waste....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast