Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fail/Win sheep gear list

Default Fail/Win sheep gear list

As the title implies lets put together a list of gear that has either proven it's metal or been a complete disappointment.

On my latest trip:

Fail = Stoic down sleeping bag. No problems with water or anything but the lack of a draft collar and the baffles being too big to keep the down even made it a cold sleep in temps well above it's rating. I could give it a shake and things would even out but the down would migrate away from things like elbows and knees then the cold would soak through.

WIN= Minus 33 boxer briefs. 3 days of being out and about in complete comfort. I am back home and on day 4 just trying to find the limit before they start walking on their own. Still no funk! That said I am getting weird looks from the wife so I may have to call this test off before much longer...

FAIL - Marmot Precip Rainpants. Used about a year and they are covered with patches and fabric glue. Not particularly waterproof or heavy duty. Precip jacket is still holding up though.

FAIL - Nikon lightweight tripod. Completely worn out in 2 years. Replaced with a Slik Mini II this year that is the same price and weight but 10x the quality.

WIN - MH UltraLamina 15 degree sleeping bag. Under 3 lbs and quite warm. Not for guys that need lots of room though.

WIN - Primus UL canister stove. This one has traveled all over the state with me for work/play and has made many, many cups of coffee and hot meals. It's a blowtorch and takes up no space in my pack.

WIN - Ibex Merino wool undershirts. My synthetics haven't been touched since I got my first one.

I'm also liking my Minox 21-42x62 ED spotter with LER eyepiece so far this year. It's not light (48 oz with the carry case), but the LER eyepiece is a lifesaver for a guy like me with who has to wear glasses. Full field of view is a luxury I have never had. I used it to eyeball a bunch of sheep last week and was happy with optical performance. I'll see how it holds up over the next few years.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    As the title implies lets put together a list of gear that has either proven it's metal or been a complete disappointment.

On my latest trip:

Fail = Stoic down sleeping bag. No problems with water or anything but the lack of a draft collar and the baffles being too big to keep the down even made it a cold sleep in temps well above it's rating. I could give it a shake and things would even out but the down would migrate away from things like elbows and knees then the cold would soak through.

WIN= Minus 33 boxer briefs. 3 days of being out and about in complete comfort. I am back home and on day 4 just trying to find the limit before they start walking on their own. Still no funk! That said I am getting weird looks from the wife so I may have to call this test off before much longer...
    I agree on the boxers (really like them)!! Which stoic bag do you have?? I have a 30 degree bag and I've thought it has been very warm so far. Maybe I'm just a warm sleeper.

Win- Western Mountaineering Badger 20F bag. Roomy, light and warm.

Win- Bibler Fitzroy...bombproof.

Win- -33F base layers, boxers, tees, medium weights zip neck long sleeve.

Win- Kuiu Attack pants, beat to death all spring and summer. Still coming back for more.

Fail- Camelbak water bladder...leaking POS.

Fail- Black Diamond trek poles...flimsy feel and lots of flex.

Fail-Kuiu beanie, sized for children and those with microcephalitis.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Win- Western Mountaineering Badger 20F bag. Roomy, light and warm.

Win- Bibler Fitzroy...bombproof.

Win- -33F base layers, boxers, tees, medium weights zip neck long sleeve.

Win- Kuiu Attack pants, beat to death all spring and summer. Still coming back for more.

Fail- Camelbak water bladder...leaking POS.

Fail- Black Diamond trek poles...flimsy feel and lots of flex.

Fail-Kuiu beanie, sized for children and those with microcephalitis.
    Which Black Diamond poles do you have? I have the carbon fiber ones and love them. No problems with them flexing, but I'm also only 150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Which Black Diamond poles do you have? I have the carbon fiber ones and love them. No problems with them flexing, but I'm also only 150 lbs.
    I've got the "Trail Shocks"... in all fairness they haven't broken but they seem to have a lot of give in them. I am used to a "Tracks" walking staff that doesn't collapse and it is much more rigid so that might be coloring my opinion somewhat.

I do outweigh you by a fair margin though I'm not sure that is a factor since I'm not putting the bulk of my weight on them.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    ... in all fairness they haven't broken but they seem to have a lot of give in them.
    Update...now I have broken one. It folded when decending a scree slope. Caused a nasty scrape and huge bruise on my thigh when I splattered the rocks trying not to slide to the bottom with a heavy pack.

Not on my recommended list for guys hauling weight. Maybe OK for effeminate day hiker types, not hunters carrying a load.

Win-La Sportiva Nepal Evo Gtx boots. Handled the North Wrangell Mountain Steeps very well.

Win-Petzl Telescoping Ice Axe.

Win-Soto Micro regulator stove/Titanium Jetboil cup combo. Super light and performed well in the cold.

Win-Exped synmat UL 7

fail-any trekkin' pole
    win-jet boil stove
    walkin' axe
    noahs tarp
    barneys' pack (thats a given i think)
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

An update after this last weeks sheep trip. Most of my stuff has been tested before, so not too many huge surprises, but it was a wet and rocky trip, so some failures.

WIN - Barneys Pack. I retired the old Dana last year and the new Barneys was an upgrade all the way around. Got some blood on it to break it in right.

WIN - Spruce staff. After breaking two "trekking poles" on two previous trips, I'm back to a good seasoned spruce stick. Hugely strong, "instantly adjustable" length, and the extra height is handy for glassing and shooting from. The price is ok too.

WIN - Primaloft Jacket. After using a primaloft vest last year and liking it, I added a MH "Compressor" in the mix. Always warm, even when soaked by your leaking tent.

FAIL - GoLite Valhalla 4 tent. I've used this tent before with ok results, but as it turns out the seams are only good for about 12 hours of rain. After that it's leak city. Vestibules are also less than useless.

FAIL - Marmot Precip raingear. The jacket joined the pants in the leaky category. Will be buying something more durable for next season.

Yk

The GoLite tents must be seam sealed. Take some McNetts silnet and thin it down with mineral spirits then apply with a foam trim paint brush.

Fail- Sitka 90% jacket... Not sure why I keep carrying this darn thing. I wore it quite a bit but there was never one instant where it couldn't have been replaced with my much lighter compressor jacket.

Win- Soto micro regulator stove

Win- Merino wool... The stuff just works!

Win- GoLite SL 5. What a light weight palace!!

50/50... Vortex Mountain hunter tripod. The thing rocks but I never used it in one situation where I extended it higher than my Cullman micro tripod wouldn't have worked just fine and been lighter. The ball head on the Vortex is FANTASTIC though!

Win- Kiuiu Chugach jacket. Going to ask for the pants from Santa I think.

Win- Garmin 62ST. What a great GPS! Topo built in, measures distances, acquires position lighting quick after boot-up. Lots of fun to play with when stuck in the tent working on your plan of attack. 3 axis compass is a big improvement over the past model and it has held calibration perfectly!

Win - Kryptek Alaios shirt and pants, outstanding

Win - Osprey Crescent BackPack

Win - JetBoil Zip

Win - Wiggy's sleeping bag

Win - Wiggy's Barren Ground jacket

Win - Leica APO spotting scope

Lose - Helly Hansen bibs - Knee delaminated in an hour. Long time user of Helly and first failure.

Lose - Cabela's return policy on said Helly bibs

Win - Helly Hansen's return policy

Win - Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3

Win - Lowa Sheephunters

and finally --- Lose - My son's shooting yeah, I'm a harse *******.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default fail/win gear 4000 ft climb into Wrangells

WIN:

Barneys Hunter pack!
    Asolo 535 boots (except when soaked of course)
    Cabellas microtex pants- dried quick, wind proof.
    Merino wool + smart wool socks.
    Fleece jacket.
    Wiggy's super light - just heavy at 5lbs. (switching to ultralight for next year)
    Collapsible Nalgene container - nice for lots of camp water storage
    Alps mountaineering zypher 2 tent
    Thermarest Solar pad- light+comfy and makes great ground chair.
    RedLedge thunderlight camo rain jacket- light, vents well and tuff as nails.
    Steiner safari binoculars- seemed as clear as more expensive brands
    balance bars- good to eat over and over

LOSE:

Ruger M77 Mark II - Just because the weight.
    Frogg Togg rain bottoms - weak and noisy
    energizer batteries - 2 sets got me 35 pictures, tried duracell and still haven't ran out...
    Cliff bars- hated them after a day.

da24tis: Talk to Marc at Wiggys AK if you are set on going with a new synthetic bag. The Glacier hunter would likely be a better fit for what you are doing than the ultralight and it is ONLY available through him.

Helly Hansen customer service - moved to "Neutral", working towards "Fail"

Probably going to have Taylor hook me up with a Glacier Hunter next year as well
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Don't overlook the Mountain Hunter, fellas. It's a 25-degree bag and lighter than the Glacier Hunter for those who don't need teen temp coverage. I used mine again this year and it didn't fail even with a couple pretty deep freezes.

+ Klymit XL inflatable pad. Tapered and has some tubes missing to keep it light and packable. I'm not much for an inflatable pad as I'm a zero-fail-know-my-gear fanatic, but I gotta admit, it was pretty comfortable.

+ JetBoil TI. FINALLY, JetBoil does exactly what it says it will. Lightning-fast boil. 5 ounces lighter. I got 6.5 days at 4x per day out of ONE 4-oz fuel. Amazing. They made pretty big advances with this year's models.

+ TiGoat Vertex 6.5 with LINER. Torrential downpour and some good wind had zero effect on this hotel room of a tent. Roomy at over 100 sq. ft. and still lighter than most two-man tents.

+ Stubai Telescoping Ice Axe. Trekking pole and climber and arrestor and tent anchor and...

+ Wiggy's Lightweight Waders. Had to give them a go to make sure they would last with this new material. +++

+ Mathews Z7 Extreme. Enough said. Wow. Great bow.

+ Merrell Sawtooth. Dried overnight once wet. No, really. Not even damp feeling with a dry pair of socks the next morning. Lightweight. Plenty of support. Low price tag.

+ Dried Instant Grits plus a little Mountain House Macaroni and Cheese. For breakfast some days. Filling. Yummy. Stayed with me. For Southern boys only...

-- Minus -- Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder. Really let me down with a false read at a key moment. Only operator error was not trusting my judgement that it was not quite right.

+ Vortex Razor 10x42's. Brilliant, vivid glassing.

-- Minus -- Forgetting my sunglasses... Sun was brutal at times.

+ Sham-Wow as a towel. Light, but soaks up water and holds it.

Taylor

+ GoLite ShangraLa-3
    +Big Agnes Insulated inflatable sleeping mat-worth the little extra weight
    +Marmot Scree pants-
    +Red Ledge rain gear jacket and pants (half the price of Pre Cip just as good)
    +Jet Boil
    +Lowa Sheep Hunters
    +02 Suzuki King Quad 300-still going strong and fits in the back of my old Tacoma

Need for next year includes a lighter bone saw, currently have wyoming saw.

Win - Mammut Glacier Pant
    Win - MontBell Raingear (lightweight, durable, worked)
    Win - Barney's Yukon Pack
    Win - Smartwool underwear
    Win - MSR Reactor Stove

Fail - Butler Creek Scope Caps (wouldn't stay closed)

Win - Core4Element Element pants, jacket, beanie, and merino wool hoodie and boxers
    Win - Jetboil Sol Ti - boils water faster than I can put coffee in my cup
    Win - Sitka 90% pants - super comfy and tough
    Win - Lorpen light hiker socks - comfy and doesn't stink
    Win - Panasonic Lumix FZ40 camera - best camera I have ever owned
    Win - Bushnell Scout 1000 w/ARC rangefinder - will range sheep which my Leicas would not
    Win - Wiggys UltraLight bag - enough said
    Win - TAG bags (again) - money!
    Win - Starbucks Via coffee ( I know it's not gear but it's worth mentioning here)
    Win - Thermarest NeoAir sleeping pad (lg version) - best pad I have owned so far

Middle of the road - Sitka Mountain and Core shirts - stinks after wearing one day.

Fail - Wilderness Specialties molle pack frame - meat carrier isn't wide enough and the shoulder straps kept sleeping under load.

Wins:
    GoLite SL-5 tent-best space to weight ratio I have found out there while still affording superb weather protection

Jetboillete/Soto Stove combo (2 people for 6 days per single small canister is hard to beat)

eVent rain coats and dry plus rain pants-stay dry so long as you aren't alder crashing in the pouring rain for hours on end and breathes super well when hiking up the slopes in the rain, closest thing to the "perfect" raingear I have found so far)

Thermarest Neo Air mattresses and Z-Lite pad-great combo and the cut down pad makes a great seat for 2 or emergency pad as well at only 8 oz it was always in my pack)

Tag bags-still rock and are light for their weight

Swaro optics-The binos and spotter continue to impress me.

Pentax W90 camera-takes good pics and drop it in the water=no big deal

Western Mountaineering Sleeping bags-doesn't get anymore comfy than puffy down in the backcountry.

Havalon knives-Still love these little knives, small, lightweight and always have a sharp edge

Barney's Freighter w/Pinnacle pack-packed more than a couple critters of the hill this year and it sucked less than any other pack withthe triple digit weights)

Merino wool base layers-soak it in sweat everyday and it doesn't stink, well at least I couldn't tell )

Lowa Sheep hunters boots-Work for my feet and no blisters ever. Hard to argue with that. Just hope they don't try to "upgrade" them.

Primaloft "puffy layers"-Supercub jacket and MH Compressor pants are money if you have to bivy overnight on the mountain or just stop and glass in the wind a bit.

Hillsound Trail Crampons-Super fast on/off, and much better than the Kathoola Micro-spike IMO as they get a bigger bite.

Mammut Lucido X-Zoom Headlamp-While not the lightest or smallest, love the battery life on just AAs, its super bright and the adjustable beam is super handy for wide beam for working around camp or skinning in the dark and the narrow beam is handy for hiking and looking far into the night.

Kimber Montana and Remington Model 7 rifles-If you are going to lug something around for 10 days only to use it for a few seconds the entire time, you might as well get it as light as possible. At 6 pounds all up for each rifle it'd be had for me to beat them w/o forking out MUCH more $$$.

Biggest new win for gear:
    Sawyer 3-way inline filter-Just dip and get on with the hiking. Or use as a gravity filter, hang it off the tripod or trekking pole and fill over bladders or bottles at 1 liter per minute and be done with it. No more pumping for this kid.

Biggest fail:
    Not really a fail but bringing a ball cap. I never wear it once in the field and it just takes up space and weight in my pack, not sure why I keep lugging it around hunt after hunt. Guess I am pretty fortunate that is my worst gear failure thus far this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast