Thread: To carve a wooden spoon

Default To carve a wooden spoon

Over the winter I took a liking to Youtube bush craft videos. Something about heading out in the woods with little more than the clothes on your back and a fixed blade in a sheath strapped to your belt looks like fun from the comfort of my recliner but I'd rather watch someone else to it on the internet than do it myself. Carving a spoon, yeah, now that's something I wouldn't mind trying.

I started with a chunk of split and dried birch from the wood pile. The outline on the wood was the general shape I had in mind for the spoon.

A couple hours later and progress is being made. I can tell you at this point my hands were sore and tired.

GLOVES! I should have put them on earlier. The spoon is taking shape.

Almost done minus the bowl.

Backside

At first my goal was to make the spoon with nothing more than simple hands tools, ie a pocket knife. But after 5 hours of whittling wood Iím ready to move on to power tools. The plan is to drill the bowl out with a dremel and call it good. Iíll post a pic of the finished product when I am done.

Reminds me of a Simpsons episode I saw a long time ago where homer went to a chili eating contest with a wooden spoon he hand carved from a once much large spoon. I think the effort of cutting a few inches off a store bought woody is a noble effort. Power tools are great when they are available.

Gremlin

Tracy and I have carried a spoon blank in our pack on every trip we do for years now, great way to widdle away time around the fire! Next time your out by the knik let me know and I'll introduce you to the joys of a "spoon gauge". Wonderful tool for making hollows in wood...........got a couple of carving knives you might want to check out as well.

PS there is a hollowing technique that utilizes fire you might like as well, I have used it for everything from drums to bowls and spoons.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

IMG_2831.jpgSpatula I made on a sea kayaking trip when I was still a guide.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

WOW! Your spatula makes my spoon look down right pathetic. LOL at this time I'm at the "been there done that" stage with whittling. It was a fun attempt but I doubt I will pick it up again.

This a birch spoon I made for my wife after getting inspired by watching Dick Preoke make one on PBS's one mans wilderness documentary. Started with a hatchet.... Finished it with power tools.... Lets just say hand cramps due to occupation and genetics hampered the hand tool idea. Mineral oil... Lots of it! Turned out great.

Just a correction, it was Dick Proenneke's, One Mans Wilderness. Great show by the way!

seacowboy looks really good.

Water Gremlin- I think that spoon looks pretty good and as long as it brings the food to your face it's perfect! Next time you might try a softer wood for starters and make sure it's still green. Something like fresh split spruce without knots in it will make your whittling go much faster with lots less hand fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by seacowboy View Post

This a birch spoon I made for my wife after getting inspired by watching Dick Preoke make one on PBS's one mans wilderness documentary. Started with a hatchet.... Finished it with power tools.... Lets just say hand cramps due to occupation and genetics hampered the hand tool idea. Mineral oil... Lots of it! Turned out great.
    That's not a spoon.....that's dang near a ladle.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!