Thread: Jim Kjelgaard books

Default Jim Kjelgaard books

sameyer's post about his new Setter pup triggered a memory about a series of dog stories that I loved as a kid by Jim Kjelgaard. Big Red, Irish Red, and Outlaw Red were about Irish Setters, and Stormy about a Black Lab but all were wonderful stories about misfit adolescent boys and misfit dogs that somehow fit well together. Loyalty, love, honor, and woodsmanship all played a central role in the story...and there was a fair amount of bird hunting too.

I still have my old copy of Stormy. If any of you gents have a kid inyour life you likes to read and the outdoors I highly recommend Mr. Kjelgaard's works. He wrote numerous dog stories but those are the four I read.

I was a member of the Scholastic Book Club in grade school where kids could buy paperbacks cheap and they'd get delivered at a school. I don't know if that program still exists but I sure got a ton of books out of it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    sameyer's post about his new Setter pup triggered a memory about a series of dog stories that I loved as a kid by Jim Kjelgaard. Big Red, Irish Red, and Outlaw Red were about Irish Setters, and Stormy about a Black Lab but all were wonderful stories about misfit adolescent boys and misfit dogs that somehow fit well together. Loyalty, love, honor, and woodsmanship all played a central role in the story...and there was a fair amount of bird hunting too.

I still have my old copy of Stormy. If any of you gents have a kid inyour life you likes to read and the outdoors I highly recommend Mr. Kjelgaard's works. He wrote numerous dog stories but those are the four I read.

I was a member of the Scholastic Book Club in grade school where kids could buy paperbacks cheap and they'd get delivered at a school. I don't know if that program still exists but I sure got a ton of books out of it.
    I too read those books as a kid and loved them. I almost went with Irish setters because of those books and would still love to have one, there are just so few really good hunting lines in them anymore.

I read Kjelgaard's books too when I was young. He had a really great perspective on lift. It may be one of the reasons I get that feeling when the weather turns cool and there just a hint of winter in the air and the hills call my name.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.