Thread: .223 twist rate?

Default .223 twist rate?

I was looking at a Savage 16FXP3 in 223 for a new toy to play with and the WBY Vanguard 2....

Now, the twist rate for the Savage is 1-9
    The Wby is 1-12 Hmmmm seems like a pretty hefty spread and considering Wby gurantee's Sub MOA 3 shot groups it got me wondering is the .223 bullet that forgiving as you change weights to have such a twist difference???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

.224 cal has a broad spectrum of weights from 30-90 grains. The slower 1-12 twist will work better with lighter bullets, the 1-9 will be more accurate with heavier bullets.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

1-12 will work with nothing higher than 55 grain and not very well with some of the longer bullets in this weight. The newer poly tipped bullets really do require a 1-10 or 1-9" twist. I think you will see more manufacturers going to faster rate twists for 223 in the near future. J.

Go with the faster twist, it is much more flexible. I've shot 50 gr bullets 5 shots into 1/2" groups with a 1-8 twist AR. IMHO there is absolutely no reason to choose a 1-12 .223.

I've yet to see a faster twist barrel that won't shoot lighter bullets accurately, unless it's a bad barrel, but then it won't shoot any bullet accurately.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I am with you guys, I guess what suprised me was WBY seems to have a pretty good grip on getting an accurate gun out the door and I was suprised that they would settle on the 1 in 12 twist rate. Perhaps the overseas market stays with lighter bullets???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I am with you guys, I guess what suprised me was WBY seems to have a pretty good grip on getting an accurate gun out the door and I was suprised that they would settle on the 1 in 12 twist rate. Perhaps the overseas market stays with lighter bullets???
    There are perhaps many reasons why WBY would settle on a 1:12, but perhaps chief among them is the fact that at ranges out to 300 yards or so the 50-55 grain bullets are simply the best performers and they are best utilized from a 1:12. There is a growing cadre of shooters using the 223 for LR shooting, but the real number of LR shooters is quite small and IMO the market for such fast twist barrels on factory rifles is not there. Not yet anyways...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Not all the manufacturers have cought up with people wanting to shoot heavier bullets out of .223 bolt guns, so the slower twists persist. One of these day's I'll send my rem 700 off for a 1-8 barrel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I believe most .223s on the market today have a 1-12" twist. Those that don't usually have a aftermarket tube screwed on. I don't think it has to do anything with people overseas.

It really depends on what you want to use it for - 1:12 or 1:14 is what Darrell Holland will suggest if you are gonna shoot dogs out to 400-500 with 40-55 grainers, I have 223 AI in both and I cannot tell the difference between them for accuracy but the faster the twist the more dramatic the results, THAT is for sure - I had a 22/250 barrelled by Noveske last year in 1:9 for a long range, windy day gun and it shoots 55's lights out but also shoots all sorts of heavier stuff awesome too - Personally I have settled on 40 grain moly coated V-max for just about everything varmint wise, it flies in the face of the common logic but I shoot prairie dogs at 350 +/- all day long, I mean 100's of rounds and my hit rate is just as high as the rest of the guys' - I think alot depends on the gun too, you can never predict that one just have to shoot it and see - Savage and Tikka put 1:9's on the 223's and 1:12's on the 22/250 ... go figure

I shoot 60 gr Nosler Partitions and 60 gr Hornady A max with excellant results. I have a 1:12 twist
    My son had a HOWA Mini 223 that would not shoot anything heavier then 55 gr. His was, I believe 1:14 (common for 22 cal barrell blanks)

Hmmm, well I have been looking for an excuse to have a Vanguard and I likely will not need/want anything over 55 grains anyway for a bullet so maybe this is the deal maker for the 1:12....
    I had a Rem 700 bull bbl in 222 that really liked 52gr bullets and I was very happy with that gun...
    Sometimes this is like buying shoes for a gal - tooo many choices -

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    There are perhaps many reasons why WBY would settle on a 1:12, but perhaps chief among them is the fact that at ranges out to 300 yards or so the 50-55 grain bullets are simply the best performers and they are best utilized from a 1:12. There is a growing cadre of shooters using the 223 for LR shooting, but the real number of LR shooters is quite small and IMO the market for such fast twist barrels on factory rifles is not there. Not yet anyways...
    Agreed and well said. Faster twists seem to be the current rage at the moment but are really not needed. Afterall, you are shooting a .22 caliber bullet into small animals or paper. Small critters so not need deep penetrating bullets. If you need a heavier bullet than 55-60 grains you would be better off just jumping up to .24 caliber.
    Tennessee