Thread: Filleting Fish on the water

Default Filleting Fish on the water

Can't remember what the ROE is for filleting the dipnet reds on the water? The plan this year is to do it in the boat and not back at camp...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Called F&G,
    I explained what I wanted to do (finsih dipnetting, tie off and fillet). At first he recommended against it because of possession issues. I didn't quite understand that one. I explained I just didn't want to deal with the fish back at camp and would prefer to fillet on the water. He was concerned about the tails. I told him what I would do is basically do a butterfly fillet. Fillet both sides and cut the tail off so the fillets would still be connected to the clipped tail for proof purposes. He said that would be fine but he didn't sound real confident in his answer. This will be my fourth year dipnetting and I have missed the big run by a week each year. I have never spent less than 10 hours on the water so pretty beat at the end of the day and think it would be easier to just deal with the fillets and the vacuum sealer rather than the whole mess. I will try to get a more definitive answer though...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

We've been filleting our fish on the boat for 3 years now, and never a problem. We also called ADFG and was told that as long as the fillets can be counted there was no problem. We do clip the tails before they go in the cooler, but most of the time we are able to keep up by filleting as we go.....but not this year, we got way behind. But we did have all 125 fish filleted and on ice before getting back to the dock. We actually got checked at the dock last year by a trooper and there was no problem.

On the occasion the boat behind us gets a little upset when they catch an anorexic Red

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer17 View Post
    On the occasion the boat behind us gets a little upset when they catch an anorexic Red
    They shouldn't complain too much if the tails are already clipped, that's less work for them.

We've always kept the fish whole to keep the meat unexposed until we get home. I've always thought of trying to fillet on the boat or at the fishing hole, but I cringe when I see the silt that would be getting all over the meat.

Filleting on the boat is one thing, but I definitely would not rinse exposed meat from that fillet in the river. Just to much going on with that river water.

Filleting on the boat is perfectly legal. As far as how it affects the clipped tails, etc., you have to understand the intent of the rule. Clipping of tails is required to keep you from catching a big mess of reds on a dipnet permit and then going and selling them to one of the canneries. The canneries are not allowed to buy salmon with clipped tails.

Thumbs up Fillet either in the boat or on the beach

I have always filleted my fish either in the boat or at the beach without a problem. I fillet the fish, rinse each fillet in either the ocean or river water, halve each fillet, place the half-fillets in ziploc bags, and then place the ziploc bags in a cooler with plenty of ice. As long as I get the fillets home and in the freezer within 36 hours there is no problem with the flesh. Once home I rinse each half-fillet with tapwater, place them on newspaper, cut out the rib bones, dry the top of each fillet with paper towel, then vacuum pack them...works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    They shouldn't complain too much if the tails are already clipped, that's less work for them. .
    That would have helped because we forgot scissors and had to use leatherman......

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    I have always filleted my fish either in the boat or at the beach without a problem. I fillet the fish, rinse each fillet in either the ocean or river water, halve each fillet, place the half-fillets in ziploc bags, and then place the ziploc bags in a cooler with plenty of ice. As long as I get the fillets home and in the freezer within 36 hours there is no problem with the flesh. Once home I rinse each half-fillet with tapwater, place them on newspaper, cut out the rib bones, dry the top of each fillet with paper towel, then vacuum pack them...works great!
    I try to avoid rinsing the meat at all. It seems to freeze and keep much better. Does take a bit of effort to keep things clean when processing a load of reds but worth the effort imho.