Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO Bait means NO BAIT!

Default NO Bait means NO BAIT!

Apparently Fish and Game was too busy with dip netters to enforce the Middle River no bait Emergency Order.

Little word of advice folks...Large globs of eggs are visable from shore...and so are large shrimp. People were trying to "help" folks out and inform them...but most really didn't seem to care or left the area that they were spotted in. A few were thankful as they claimed to have no knowledge of the order.

Next weekend...I pack binoculars and start writing down boat numbers or my large camera lens and start taking pictures.

Read your regs folks, and keep up with the emergency orders. If you're gong to fish it...fish it right.

Take the camera, without photos ADFG is basically powerless. Even with them its quite costly for them to prosecute someone they didn't actually see committing the offense but maybe with enough pictures theywill.

It may be worthless to ADF&G but may scare a few into following the rules thinking they were caught.
    I would take the pictures first and then let them know they got caught on camera and you are turning them in and have their boat #'s etc..
    You could also call the F&W troopers and try to get them to get out their and write some tickets. They may find it worthwile to come out when you are witnessing the violation occuring.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    Apparently Fish and Game was too busy with dip netters to enforce the Middle River no bait Emergency Order.

Little word of advice folks...Large globs of eggs are visable from shore...and so are large shrimp. People were trying to "help" folks out and inform them...but most really didn't seem to care or left the area that they were spotted in. A few were thankful as they claimed to have no knowledge of the order.

Next weekend...I pack binoculars and start writing down boat numbers or my large camera lens and start taking pictures.

Read your regs folks, and keep up with the emergency orders. If you're gong to fish it...fish it right.
    they are people that don't have any regards to rules they don't care and the troopers don't either unless they catch them in action, good luck teaching ignorant folks right from wrong it is like trying to get stalkers here from posting b.s. after every post
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

So yet another case for a few more troopers eh? Had started another thread about this and it turned into a shet show by those that think not only do we not need more troopers, but we have to many already. I'm guessing all these blatant violators were doing was trying to feed their poor, starving families right? Why would you take pics of someone violating if all they were doing was trying to feed their starving families from a $20,000 boat? (all with a heavy dose of sarcasm) hahahahaha

Good on you for talking to some of them and when you get your camera out there, take pics of those that chose to break the rules anyway and report their a*sess to fish and game. Some people just dont care though. Their greed is disgusting. The fine isn't that much though so it's not much for them to worry about. Fines need to be extremely steep and we need some more troopers!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Make sure to get the violators to hold up the bait packages for the pictures too. (gotta be able to tell the difference between actual bait and a well tied fly in the photos....)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I actually did snap one of a boat of 4 people proudly holding their glob of eggs in the air prior to casting. In fact most were smiling. Unless I can edit it, you can't make out the boat number.

It was certainly eggs, because flys don't seperate when flung from a boat. I'm hoping (because I'm a girl and it's all rainbow and butterflies) that education this week will prevent a repeat next week. If not, maybe we should start posting pictures in a sub thread called "DA Club".

It's just frustrasting to fish for hours legally and then someone swings in, throws bait and bam...King! In and out in 5 minutes.

That is the problem with EOs. People might check on Thursday and see none then get written up Friday night.

I find it much easier to leave my hall monitor hat at home and let the troopers do their job. If it is blatent, I will make a quick phone call then return to fishing.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Even better, take a video of them in the action and you can record there verbal disregard. I wouldn't bother calling ADF&G, it's realy not there job. Call the number on the back of the license, you will get results.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Make sure to get the violators to hold up the bait packages for the pictures too. (gotta be able to tell the difference between actual bait and a well tied fly in the photos....)
    Just get pictures of their pink fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    That is the problem with EOs. People might check on Thursday and see none then get written up Friday night. I find it much easier to leave my hall monitor hat at home and let the troopers do their job. If it is blatent, I will make a quick phone call then return to fishing.
    That's why I think you should inform the uninformed and then if they don't listen call it in. I found myself in a potentially ticketable situation about a month ago at the Russian a few people said something and I resolved the issues. Definitely appreciated the tip rather than a fine I won't be doing that again.

Default What if...

Major EO's were posted at all boat launches on that section of the river? Maybe they are and I missed them.

I agree with fishingyoda's approach.

The troopers that flew over my area seemed busy with a search and rescue mission. Saw another one from what appeared to be ground support for the search and rescue, others (a crew of three or four) surveying what appeared to be an accident scene, and others that were pulled up next to other cars along side the road (traffic tickets or to render aid?)

If you want to really police the rivers ...what better way than by being a trooper? Have you applied to be a trooper?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I agree with fishingyoda's approach. The troopers that flew over my area seemed busy with a search and rescue mission. Saw another one from what appeared to be ground support for the search and rescue, others (a crew of three or four) surveying what appeared to be an accident scene, and others that were pulled up next to other cars along side the road (traffic tickets or to render aid?) If you want to really police the rivers ...what better way than by being a trooper? Have you applied to be a trooper?
    I too agree with the friendly approach and education. However...what DO YOU do when people choose to simply poach? I wasn't faulting the wildlife enforcement troopers who were (according to you) needed for traffic patrol and I certainly don't expect Trooper Peterson to leave an accident to drive his expedition up the kenai river, especially with the horsepower regulations. I'm just asking people to be responsible and give a s#it...have awareness and educate. Maybe there should be no rules so people don't have to think twice about following them and others can feel good about not reporting obvious poachers.

+1 GirlsFish, rep coming
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I'm just asking people to be responsible and give a s#it...have awareness and educate.
    I agree.

Maybe there should be no rules so people don't have to think twice about following them...
    I disagree. I think people should think about why the rules (laws/regulations) are in existence or how they are to be enforced, and who pays for it. IMO, Sometimes the laws don't go far enough to protect our resources. Sometimes, life isn't fair. or perhaps we want to many things so we may eventually end up with nothing (no money no fish). Perhaps I'm just more sensitive and prioritize towards the state's people issues (domestic violence, shaken babies, DUI, violent crimes, road rage, drug enforcement) than be concerned whether a fish lived or died after being foul hooked or caught on bait. Others that use that resource may be more sympathetic towards your logic. To me the plea parrelles someone telling me I should be concerned with the political activities in Somalia or the starving hungry children of Ethiopia.

.... and others can feel good about not reporting obvious poachers.
    Am I supposed to feel better by reporting poachers than not reporting them? You all can keep those Pennisula kings. White king tastes way better. Plus, I like my salmon bbq'd not poached.

People that "use" the resources are often the ones that abuse them. Look at the terrible return of kings in many places. Look what happened to the buffalo and elk that once roamed much of the country. The people that used the populations into almost not having any or driving them out of an area. That's why we have limits and laws and lawful means of taking game and fish. But in my experience the ones that "use" the species far too often abuse the means, bag limits or just out right poach them. I worked with a native in a village in april that told me he had shot over 40moose in his life and only one of them would have been legal, but he was out of season. Same guy told me how he dropped a cow and her two calfs over the winter and traded lots of the meat for booze and smokes. I get very tired of those that think they have rights to do this when in reality they are going to destroy there means to survive in years to come.

We have enough troopers, for one thing if the bait deal was really that important there would be more police enforcing the bait law. I agree w/ dirtofak, mind your own business and you won't be so bothered. Why would you be so focused on what other fishermen are using? unless of course you're a seagull.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    But in my experience the ones that "use" the species far too often abuse the means, bag limits or just out right poach them. I worked with a native in a village in april that told me he had shot over 40moose in his life and only one of them would have been legal, but he was out of season. Same guy told me how he dropped a cow and her two calfs over the winter and traded lots of the meat for booze and smokes. I get very tired of those that think they have rights to do this when in reality they are going to destroy there means to survive in years to come.
    I've heard these same type of stories... to include people running a net across a stream at high tide to capture the fish as the tide went out, people using a longline for rockfish and halibut, shooting dozens of deer along the shore after heavy snow ...Kind of makes one wonder how these species survived without law enforcement before we settled here.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    We have enough troopers, for one thing if the bait deal was really that important there would be more police enforcing the bait law. I agree w/ dirtofak, mind your own business and you won't be so bothered. Why would you be so focused on what other fishermen are using? unless of course you're a seagull.
    Awww crap, now I have to change my view.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast