Thread: Coast Guard Navagible waterways

Default Coast Guard Navagible waterways

anyone know where i can find a list of the waters in alaska that are classified as navagible waterways by the CG...need to figure out where i need my six pack to run my clients on lakes...
    thanks
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default navigable waters

Jake: Here is a list put out by the Corp Of Engineers, don't know if this helps.

www.poa.usace.army.mil/reg/NavWat.htm

I was told by the USCG that if you use a motor on any water (to transport clients) you need a USCG license ... if you are using a non-motorized watercraft then one is not needed.

Talking Row row row your boat

Sixpac or 12 oars. See, ya have choices!

Default Navigable Waterways

This can be a pretty confusing subject; seems there's lots of ideas & opinions out there.....here's some fuel for the fires:
    The Army Corps of Engineers' Navigable Waterways list is not exactly the same as the Coast Guard's list....understanding that each agency has a different mission might help explain the discrepancies. For practical purposes, there's a huge patchwork of overlapping authorities, responsibilities and jurisdictions....so what applies, where does it apply and to whom? It really depends on what a person wants to do. Transporting passengers for hire in a boat falls with the Coast Guard (and maybe the Forest Service, the State of Alaska and any other agencies or groups that have an interest/authority!) Crazy and confusing to be sure! And, even if you ask everyone you think might have some concerns, you eventually will run into yet another agency with an interest in what you are doing. My best advice? Keep asking until you are confident that you've touched all the bases. Some unfortunates have learned the hard way by loosing in court, but the prepared entrepreneur has the best chance of success! BRWNBR, I sent you a PM on this subject. Mike

muskeg, when i checked into it there were cetian waters you don't need a license in and certian waters that you did, they classified them as navagible waterways, like beluga river on the north side of cookinlet, i didn't have to have a six pack..but the susitna river i did and so on. seems crazy that if you run a boat or canoe witha trolling motor on a lake 200 miles from salt water with a client that you'd have to spend 3 months on the ocean...should have a boater saftey course or something.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212