Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Home videos

Default Making Home videos

I have a pretty good Digital video camera. I would like to be able to make some good hunting/fishing videos.
    The problem I have is editing. Whats a good software/computer to get for this? I wouldnt mind investing some money either as I have two kids that are growing up and of course will be shooting lots of video of just them.

I have purchased some software before but its always been a nightmare to figure out. I need simple plus good results.

Lots of people just use windows movie maker, it comes on almost all windows PC's. Or use Imovie on a MAC.

I used Windows Movie Maker until it wouldn't recognize the files from my new camera. I purchased and downloaded AVS Video Editor for $39. It works fine, and wasn't too complicated to figure out. But I have used others before and most of them seem to work about the same. Adobe Premier Elements costs more, but is another nice choice.

I'm using cyberlink power director on a trial basis right now, I think I'll try the AVS Video Editor if they have a free version before I buy though. I really like the power director, but I have nothing to compare it to other than windows movie maker. Thanks for the tip.

What file format does your camera save the footage?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks Ill try the windows movie maker on my pc. TJM, im not sure. its a HD format.

What kind of camera is it?...we should be able to tell the format from that....The reason why it matters is your workflow will change depending on the format/editor combination...some editors will have an easier time with some formats versus another...
    pull my finger....

its a cannon HG20. My computer crashed recently so I dont have any videos on file. If memory serves it was avi format I think. And for a double blow, I cant find the usb cord for the vid camera right now to try and upload to see what file extention it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Thanks Ill try the windows movie maker on my pc.
    worth a try...what version of windows do you have?...if it is the Vista version (among others) then you may experience trouble importing the footage directly into WMM as it supports HDV but not AVCHD....you can get around that by converting the footage prior to importing, just one extra step in your workflow...Canon (and many other folks) makes a video converter if you need to go that route....I believe that Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere are the more popular windows editors for AVCHD files as they'll suck 'em right in without needing converting....

now if you're looking to get a new 'puter then I'd give the simple iMac with Final Cut Express a hard look....it will import the footage directly from the camera (although it is still converting as it is importing), and depending on how fast the machine is, it will do it pretty quickly....FCE is pretty darn cheap for what you get....it is my editor of choice for home vids...for around $1200 you'd have a fantastic home vid machine/software with a terrific display...

which ever machine/software combo you use, just make sure you have enough horse power to edit the humongous files that your HD camera is creating for your editing pleasure ....it is time consuming but worth it in the end....I love watching home video footage of my kids/family, if it weren't for the videos I wouldn't realize just how freaking quickly my kids are growing up....
    pull my finger....

Thanks TJM. Maybe Ill get that IMAC. Been hearing alot about those. Plus your videos always seem to turn out good. If I do get the imac, it will be just for the videos. And this laptop I use now will be for everything else. What store do I purchase this Imac from? I really dont want to head into bestbuy if I can help it. and I would like to talk with some Knowledgable people.

Another vote for an iMac. Once you use a Mac you won't go back to a PC unless that is what you have to use for that for letter word: work. You can by refurbished ones from apple.com for a bit cheaper that still carry a warranty. Here is a link:http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODY3Nw
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My bride just started messing around with iMovie on our iMac the other day...a few minutes later she had a slide show and videos all strung together with music, too. I thought it turned out awesome, and it was her first try putting different video clips together. She said it was too simple. iMovie came already loaded on our computer.

There's a new Mac Store going into the 5th ave. mall. Word is that will be the place to go for i-anything. We bought ours from the Mac Store at Dimond/Seward highway. They were good to deal with and didn't talk all computer-ese to me when I asked dumb questions.

All depends on what you want to do. If you want to make some professional-looking videos, then you would have to invest a lot more money on the right set-up, be it PC or Mac. For the Mac you would be using something like "Final Cut Pro," Adobe Premiere (PC and Mac), etc. which can cost around $600.00 or more, plus a Macintosh Pro. You should be able to take a look at these units (ready for photo and video editing) at B&H.

The sky is the limit:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Co...3/N/4289213680

For not so pro home movies, you can get away with an iMac, or a relatively cheap PC.

Thanks for the help everyone. I went down to the mac store, plugged my camera in, and Im a believer. I told the wife I aint fooling around anymore with making home videos until I get that Mac!

yeah, you won't be able to do anything worth a cr@p unless you get this setup....

...and at only $48,000 it's a bargin!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756800-REG/B_H_Photo_Mac_Pro_Workstation_DaVinci_Resolve_Cont rol_Surface.html

pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    yeah, you won't be able to do anything worth a cr@p unless you get this setup....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756800-REG/B_H_Photo_Mac_Pro_Workstation_DaVinci_Resolve_Cont rol_Surface.html

And it comes with someone to figure it all out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

WOW! That's a movie making machine! All you need now is the movie camera to take advantage of it. One of these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...4/N/4256818816

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    WOW! That's a movie making machine! All you need now is the movie camera to take advantage of it. One of these:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...4/N/4256818816
    ...now that's funny ...I'll take the one for $99,000 please ....
    pull my finger....

You might also consider and external hard drive. Those files ad up quick! Jus sayin

I'm using my Mac Book Pro, iMovie, a LaCie Rugged portable hard drive & a panasonic HDC-SDX1. It has taken me a bit to learn how to get the quality up, but it is working well. I went Mac two years ago and have no intentions of going back to PC anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast