Thread: Sportjet help

Default Sportjet help

I need some suggestions on a 2007, 200hp sportjet with 20 hours on it.

I had it out a few times this summer and it worked perfectly. I took it out about two weeks ago to make a 10 mile run downstream and all was good. We had it beached for a few hours to let the kids swim, but within 15 seconds of the return trip the engine lurched twice and died. At this point it wouldn’t start. It tried and would vibrate like mad and die. I got back to shore and it started again and ran for about 10 seconds and died. It wouldn’t start at this point and I had to call in a friend to pick me up at the next ramp downstream.

I took it to the shop and they found water in the gas so we drained the tank, filters, etc and started over. I took it to the ramp and while still on the trailer tried to start it. Worked just fine at lower rpms. No issues. I let it run for about 10 minutes and all was good. Two days later I took it out for a run and it idled and ran at low rpms just fine. Within 10 seconds of getting it on plane it died once again and refused to start.

So back it went to the shop. This time they said the fuel pump was acting up and replaced it. Assured me that this would fix it. $500 lighter, I’m back on the water the next day to test it out. Exact same problem. Starts perfect, idles perfect, but then under power it dies and refuses to start.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dan-
    I got your email, but thought I'd respond here for others to see.

Did the shop replace the Hi Pressure pump or lift pump? There was a fuel lift pump service bulletin some yrs back.

Thanks Kevin for getting back so quick! I thought they said it was the "mid-range" pump if that makes any sense?

It was hard for me to believe at first, but there are three fuel pumps on the Optimax. A lift pump, a mid-range pump, and a high pressure pump.

Live Kevin said Mercury and problems with their supplier of the lift pump. I had my lift pump die on my 2007 SportJet and had the exact symptoms as yours. All the lift pump does is get the fuel from the tank to the mid-range pump.

I was up a river when mine died. I got home by raising a small fuel tank higher than the engine and gravity feeding fuel to the lift pump.

You might try to troubleshoot your problem the same way. Gravity feed fuel to your engine and see if it runs good under load. If so you’ve got some kind of issue with getting fuel to the mid-range pump, (and best bet would be the lift pump).

Kelvin

Hmmm, Almost alwayz it's the lift pump. I've seen a few Hi Pressure pumps fail, most times if the engine sits for long peroids (yrs). As I recall, you (Upper 'Sippi) purchased a Phantom that sat for two or three years?

I'm not saying the mid range pump wasn't faulty, but I can't recall ever replacing one or hearing of one failing. If it is the lift pump, NAPA offers a less expensive (than Merc) replacement option.

Maybe one of the AK Sport Jet gurus will check in...

I have a ball pump just down stream of my tank. You could plumb one in and have someone pump while running it to illiminate the llift pump. Just dont over do it on the pumping you dont want to blow any seals. Also check and double check all your hose fittings I had a problem once where i was sucking air ino the fuel system from a loose clamp. Larry

I would guess Lift pump. Had the exact same problem. If you have a primer bulb on hand you can eleminate/bypass the lift pump and get home. The lift pump primes the system and if your tank is close to the motor it has enough suction to run once you get it started with primer bulb. If it is bad, it will not allow fuel to pass through it even though it sounds like it is running. Have someone turn the key on (just first notch/dont try to start motor) and listen to the pump (upper left side of motor)(2" dia with teenie filter in front of it) if it has a dry sound you will know, they are pretty quiet when they are moving fuel. If you take a long 3/8" extension and put it on the pump and place the other end just in front of your ear on the jaw bone, you can actually hear the pump is dry. I have heard from several reliable folks that Merc had a bad run on the lift pumps. (Merc dont make them).
    hope this helps.
    Mike

Default Service bulletin on the fuel lift

Quote Originally Posted by Upper 'Sippi View Post
    I need some suggestions on a 2007, 200hp sportjet with 20 hours on it.

I had it out a few times this summer and it worked perfectly. I took it out about two weeks ago to make a 10 mile run downstream and all was good. We had it beached for a few hours to let the kids swim, but within 15 seconds of the return trip the engine lurched twice and died. At this point it wouldn’t start. It tried and would vibrate like mad and die. I got back to shore and it started again and ran for about 10 seconds and died. It wouldn’t start at this point and I had to call in a friend to pick me up at the next ramp downstream.

I took it to the shop and they found water in the gas so we drained the tank, filters, etc and started over. I took it to the ramp and while still on the trailer tried to start it. Worked just fine at lower rpms. No issues. I let it run for about 10 minutes and all was good. Two days later I took it out for a run and it idled and ran at low rpms just fine. Within 10 seconds of getting it on plane it died once again and refused to start.

So back it went to the shop. This time they said the fuel pump was acting up and replaced it. Assured me that this would fix it. $500 lighter, I’m back on the water the next day to test it out. Exact same problem. Starts perfect, idles perfect, but then under power it dies and refuses to start.

Any suggestions?
    The Service Bulletin: http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/d...etfuelpump.PDF

Could this be a problem with the 175 sport jet also? I am having a bad time with mine not running at mid range. I see that mine is leaking a bit from the pump gasket.

Thanks everyone for the help. It was indeed the lift pump and works great. It killed me that I put a Terrova on it back in June for smallie fishing and the only time I’ve gotten to use the new trolling motor was to limp down-stream!

The first time it died (referred to in my original post), I had some of my son’s friends on board for his birthday party. When I said that the engine wouldn’t start one of them started screaming, “We’re all going to die”!

Yeah, that was fun.

Kevin, you pegged it. This is the Phantom we spoke about last spring. 2007 model with only 30 minutes on the engine (15 of those were my test ride). Hopefully I’ll run into you this summer yet.

Thanks,

Dan

The first time it died (referred to in my original post), I had some of my son’s friends on board for his birthday party. When I said that the engine wouldn’t start one of them started screaming, “We’re all going to die”!

Yeah, that was fun.
    Now that you've got your boat fixed; I'll kind of hijack the tread.

I hit a log with my boat and one of the results was my 8yo boy got a cut above his eyebrow. It wasn't bad, but being a head wound he was bleeding a fair amount. My 7yo daughter, (who was out front and didn't get a scratch) see the bleeding and tells her brother "You’re going to die, I'll pray for you".

Oh my, let the caterwauling begin! LOL