Thread: Spring fishing

Default Spring fishing

Ok, here is a question for all of you fisherfolks out there. I just heard that March is a HOT time to catch rockfish out of seward on the rocks. I was told that they school up, and you can drive the shoreline and look for boils. Does this sound plausible? Anyone fishing Seward in a boat recently?
    Also I have another rumor to chase down. I was also told that you can shorefish for halibut at Deep creek, and the other rivers. I was told they are eating the rotton salmon that are washing out to see. an oldtimer told me that you just shorecast for them using some sort of bait. Anyone ever done this?
    And one last thing.....when do the steelhead start running out of the Anchor? I would love to catch a couple of those!! (and release them of course)

So anyone with any ideas put em here! Or if you heard of some other strange spring fisheries let us hear em. Hope this starts a GREAT discussion (and helps put me on some fish!) Thanks!

Default never found um like that

I have fished quite a bit in Seward in the early season and never really found the rockfish schooled up. Usually herring move through in April and then the rockfish seem to follow that.
    Even out by the Chiswells they seem to be thin until the end of April. There are Kings to be had however and no many rockfish to mess up the trolling gear.

steelhead start running in the anchor in late august early september. You can catch them while fishing for kings (opened the weekend before memorial day) as they are on the way out, but they don't fight good and are pretty dark having just spawned.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

THanks!! Thanks for the seward tip AkCapt. I appreciate it even though I was hoping for better news. I think I'll still try in a couple weeks.
    Monkey thanks as well. I thought they might be beat up on the way out, and that actually means I certainly wont' target them... Sigh I guess it'll be dolly fishing and hoping they are chasing early hooligan., or area steams.

Aha.....Has anyone fished upper ship creek? I hear about it, but am unsure what people mean when they say that. Upper as in above the hatchery or upper as fishing near Moose Run Golf course. Thanks!!

no fish up there because the dam just up from the hatchery prevents salmon from getting that far. I mean there might be some dollies and rainbows but not like between the first dam and reeve bvd.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.