Thread: drift only mondays on the middle kenai

Default drift only mondays on the middle kenai

hey i was wondering if any one can shed some light, i was reading the regs and it reads to me you can run a motorized boat around bings on mondays, you just can't fish from it. Is this true or is it drift only no exceptions? any help would be great thanks!

Thats the way I interpreted it too but some one else may have better insight. You can run a motor as long as there are no rods deployed at any time. If you use the motor at any time during the day you can not fish.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

well to me it seems like you can fish just not from a boat with a motor. So I guess more or less what I am getting at is if i run a boat up stream to a place and fish off the bank is that ok?

Now thats a good question. I was planning on putting my boat in there sometime in the near future and just strapping the motor up and drifting down. I dont see why you couldnt motor up the river then get out and fish. To me the way the reg reads its no fishing from the boat when youve run the motor on it.

this is almost one of those letter of the law type things a trooper would need to answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Now thats a good question. I was planning on putting my boat in there sometime in the near future and just strapping the motor up and drifting down. I dont see why you couldnt motor up the river then get out and fish. To me the way the reg reads its no fishing from the boat when youve run the motor on it.

this is almost one of those letter of the law type things a trooper would need to answer though.
    From the way it is written, you would not be legal to fish from the boat if the motor was on or in the boat in any way. "Strapping it up" would not make it legal to fish from. According to the reg, "
    a motorized vessel is one that has a motor
    on board"

It does look like you could use the boat with motor to get somewhere and then fish from the shore since technically it only restricts fishing from a motorized vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    From the way it is written, you would not be legal to fish from the boat if the motor was on or in the boat in any way. "Strapping it up" would not make it legal to fish from. According to the reg, "
    a motorized vessel is one that has a motor
    on board"

It does look like you could use the boat with motor to get somewhere and then fish from the shore since technically it only restricts fishing from a motorized vessel.
    Guess Ill pull it off there then. Just thought I would save my self the time of removing it but my laziness isnt worth a ticket.

I heard that they added a part to the regs this year that states you can have the motor on the boat but can only use it to get you from Cunningham park to the docks. However I have not seen this in writing!

You cannot fish from nor have rods in the boat is what a trooper told me a few years back. So if you go out with a motorized vessel and have fish or rods in the boat, chances are you are getting in trouble.

1) no one may fish from any motorized vessel downstream from the outlet of Skilak Lake. Between the outlet of SkilakLake and the Sterling Hwy bridge in Soldotna, a motorized vessel is one that has a motoron board, and 2) between the Sterling Hwy bridge and the mouth of the Kenai River, no onemay sport fish from a motorized vessel that has on board more than one single motor greaterthan 10 hp. A motor 10 hp or less may be used only downstream of an ADF&G marker at
    Cunningham Park, and only after fishing from the vessel has stopped for the day.

Driftboat Mondays are honestly almost worth buying a driftboat alone or at least buying the beer to get into a friend's boat One of the best king fisheries on the Pen. I think it was about 3 years ago we caught and released like 15 before we finally kept a smaller one. It's a pretty amazing day. Part of the reason it works is one day off from the motors. All kinds of conditions come into effect when there are a bunch of motors on the river.

People do this for reds all the time. They motor to their favorite bank fishing spot park the boat get out and fish.I have seen lots of boats do this while I was in my driftboat on the lower river.
    If the trooper doesn't see you fishing from the motorized boat he doesn't have a leg to stand on.Especially if all you have is reds.
    Some of the guides even make a little money just dropping clients off and picking them up later.
    You can at times get to some less crowded areas that are only accessible by boat.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

ok I called the ADFG office in soldotna and I was told you can run a motorized boat on mondays.........you just can not fish from it. Now there is a little loop hole here for the drift boat guys.............your drift boat is a drift boat until you use it (motor) to go back up stream to get out at the park.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    ok I called the ADFG office in soldotna and I was told you can run a motorized boat on mondays.........you just can not fish from it. Now there is a little loop hole here for the drift boat guys.............your drift boat is a drift boat until you use it (motor) to go back up stream to get out at the park.
    This isn't completely accurate. Page 48 of the regulation summary booklet has the complete regulation. On Mondays, May 1 - July 31, no one may fish from any motorized vessel downstream from the outlet of Skilak Lake. Between the outlet of Skilak Lake and the Sterling Hwy bridge in Soldotna, a motorized vessel is defined as a vessel that has a motor on board. Below the Sterling Hwy bridge in Soldotna to the mouth, the regulation is different and allows a single motor 10 hp or less on board. The motor can only be used below Cunningham Park and only after fishing from the vessel has stopped for the day. This allows anglers to exit the fishery by motoring down to the city dock.

Anglers and non-anglers can still run motorized vessels on Mondays, they just can't fish from them. So people can use motorized vessels to access sockeye bank fishing locations on Mondays. Be careful that you don't fish from the back of your boat while it is up on the bank, this is a violation of the regulation.