Thread: I'm thinking of a new 1911...

Default I'm thinking of a new 1911...

I've got to admit a soft spot for the 1911 and I've had a trunk full over the years. I'm thinking about plunking down for a "custom" 1911 this fall.

So the million dollar question... who makes the best (or at least a very good) upper end 1911? I've had several of the higher end factory guns but want to get something a little different.

I looking for a very basic 1911 with good sights, very few frills, zero tacticool and no darn forward slide serrations. Don't need to drive tacks, looking for bang every time though....

[QUOTE=hodgeman;976013]I've got to admit a soft spot for the 1911 and I've had a trunk full over the years. I'm thinking about plunking down for a "custom" 1911 this fall.

So the million dollar question... who makes the best (or at least a very good) upper end 1911? I've had several of the higher end factory guns but want to get something a little different.

this is easy! look at the new ruger sr1911, as it has everything you want at a very reasonable price. completlely reliable, accurate, and has a few extra's most of us want. price? around $650. great value.
    happy trails.
    jh

Upper end? Les Baer.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If I had the dough..a .45 I'd be really proud to own... http://www.lesbaer.com/1911Cent.html
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If I had 2-3 thousand I wanted to get rid of quickly on a high end 1911, I would look at Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Nighthawk, pick the model that I wanted and never look back. Those are probably the top four, but I have also read nothing but good about Dan Wesson 1911's like the Valor. They are high end and high quality! Go to the 1911 forum and do some looking as there are also some other high end makers out there.

...... I would look at Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Nighthawk,.......
    You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I've also had my uncouth, grubby paws wrapped around the refined craftsmanship of a Volkmann and it was ........

http://volkmannprecision.com/
    Now what ?

At the behest of one out spoken forum member here by the name of Murphy, I dropped a wad of cash for a new Les Baer custom 1911 last year. I watched this old fart shoot his 1911's and he's like the E.F. Hutton of handguns, so I took his advice and bought Les Baer. He has a couple of them and can handle them well. I wanted a full size carry gun built for ultra reliability so I chose the TR special. Fixed sights that print POA=POI at 25 yards. The gun will shoot about an inch at 25 yards but I struggle to keep shots 2" at that range. I used to think I was a good pistol shot until I ran into some shooters. Anyway, I love the LB and don't see how anyone could make anything any better.
    Mike

Ed Brown if I were going custom. I own Colt, and Springfield Armory. I'd also look at the new Ruger if I were looking for a factory 1911 now.

Colt Special Combat Goverment and use the savings to buy ammo.

There is no finer 1911 on the market today.

I have heard that the Colt Special Combat Government is one fine pistola! How often do you get them in? From what I've read on the 1911 forum, they are quite scarce and made in small batches. Would like to check one out.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I have heard that the Colt Special Combat Government is one fine pistola! How often do you get them in? From what I've read on the 1911 forum, they are quite scarce and made in small batches. Would like to check one out.
    The next batch I should get is the carry version...when...??

When they show up

+1 for Colt. I shoot better groups with my gold cup trophy, than I do with my Wilson.

Yes Sir...Gold Cup!!

Back in the late 60's when Uncle Sam was buying me ammo and guns I was issued a Gold Cup that shot like a wet dream...if I could only find that gun and the '68 GTO I had back then!!!

Money no object- Ed Brown less expensive but sweet Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    The next batch I should get is the carry version...when...??

When they show up
    Thanks for the info. I will have to start stopping by once in awhile and keep my eyes peeled. How good is the Colt Wiley Capp model??

If you can find a Wiley Clapp model it would probably be a great buy. It pretty much is the same .45auto I built for myself 20 years ago and have carried ever since. I played with a S&W E series yesterday at Sportman's Warehouse. You'd think that a $900 1911 would at least have a decent 4# trigger. That thing had to be over 8 lbs. Otherwise it felt great, but I would have to disassemble it to make a decision.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you can find a Wiley Clapp model it would probably be a great buy. It pretty much is the same .45auto I built for myself 20 years ago and have carried ever since. I played with a S&W E series yesterday at Sportman's Warehouse. You'd think that a $900 1911 would at least have a decent 4# trigger. That thing had to be over 8 lbs. Otherwise it felt great, but I would have to disassemble it to make a decision.
    I found a Wiley Clapp model online for about 1250 not long ago. It looked like it had about everything I'd want in a carry 1911 except tritium night sights. Never tried the old school gold bead front sight??

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will have to start stopping by once in awhile and keep my eyes peeled. How good is the Colt Wiley Capp model??
    If you like the features it is good. Another nice one is the Rail Gun if you like rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    If you like the features it is good. Another nice one is the Rail Gun if you like rails.
    I like my Colt Rail Gun, but hard to find good holsters for it. But it is my go to the outhouse in the dark of night firearm.

For my money, the Dan Wesson Valor is as good a pistol as any Wilson or Baer, at half the cost. Check them out before you buy.