Thread: August Trip

Default August Trip

Hello everyone. My name is Joe, im from West Michigan. I will be visiting my brother in wasilla/anchorage area(somewhere around there) August 18th-25th. We already have a halibut charter the 20th, and I believe we are floating the kenai that weekend also. My question is what other things would you do if you had a week in alaska. Not really looking for the tourist kind of things, this trip i will be alone, the next one i will have my family so i want to do all the things i wont be able to do next trip. The halibut charter and floating the kenia were my two must do items, so now im looking for some other ideas. If I had my way i would just fish the seven days but not knowing the area that is probably out of the question. Any other rivers not too far away that maybe i could get a guide for a day on? Not looking to keep anything, just be on the water is all im looking for. Thanks in advance for any tips. Oh and how would the charter trip compare to offshore fishing in lake michigan sea sickness wise?

Take a ride up to Clear Creek for Silvers. Check with Mahays in Talkitna for a jet boat ride up. They will drop you off for the day and pick you up in the evening. Also there are several good streams just north of Wasilla. There should be good Chum and Silver fishing in most of them. Have a great time

Hello Joe,
    there is the Little Su River nearby, you could walk in and bank fish or you could get a charter - Silver fishing should be good.
    There is the Deshka River - you can only get there by boat or plane this time of year... So you'd probably need a charter.. Silver fishing should be good.. There are several streams going North on the Parks hwy that will have fish in them... check the regs for them... it gets a little complicated on when and where you can/can't fish them...

Take a combo trip out of Seward its a beautiful place to fish and the silver fishing is great. You can catch silvers, ling cod, several different types of rock fish and halibut all in the same trip. There are also halibut/ling trips out of homer but Seward would be my first choice

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey jstrand, I was born and raised in West Michigan, and I've fished the big lake out of Holland, Grand Haven, Ludington, Manistee etc. You just never know about the seas...just like the lake, they can be flat calm, or they can be quite bumpy. Where is your charter launching from?

We are going out of seward. Ya i was just curious, i have no problems getting sick around here but ill probably take something to be on the safe side. Im a walleye guy around here, but do some offshore fishing when i can. I fish out of whitehall mainly. Thats why the silvers wont be my main target, since i can target them here also, granted not the quality you have out there. Mainly want to do the halibut and everything else will be a bonus. I just talked to my brother today and he said we will float the russian? river also. I might also do the deal where they taxi you down and pick you up later. Do you mainly fish with bait or what when bank fishing. Just curious if the presentations will be similiar. When I target kings and silvers in the rivers here i drift skein or some hot n tots or flatfish. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far.

If you care to take a break from fish fever drive through the Hatcher Pass if the weather beckons; I remember that one far better than any fillet...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I just left Traverse City in May. If you want, come down to Kodiak for a day and I'll get you on the water.

How far from anchorage is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I just left Traverse City in May. If you want, come down to Kodiak for a day and I'll get you on the water.

J- Kodiak is about a one flight roughly $200. round trip. Other than the ferry boat flying is the way. Have fun. While in Seward turn down EXIT Glacier road and a 1 mile hike to the face of the glacier.
    No floating down the Russian, very small stream.
    Come to Soldotna and a charter will give you thrills with Silver fishing HOT at that time. Have fun, take your camera along each day.

Ok thanks. I thought my brother said the russian, but i was half asleep during the conversation so im probably wrong. Definitely bringing the camera every where i go. I need to get more familiar with the state, everyone keeps throwing out cities and i have no idea where they are in relation to where i am.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    J- Kodiak is about a one flight roughly $200. round trip. Other than the ferry boat flying is the way. Have fun. While in Seward turn down EXIT Glacier road and a 1 mile hike to the face of the glacier.
    No floating down the Russian, very small stream.
    Come to Soldotna and a charter will give you thrills with Silver fishing HOT at that time. Have fun, take your camera along each day.

I may take you up on that offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post

Stop into 3 Rivers tackle in Wasilla. They will get you set up with the right lures / bait. They will help you with where to go also. Have a great time.