Thread: Bait?

Default Bait?

I like to review the fishing videos on YOUTUBE (especially Alaskan). Lately I have seen several people saltwater fishing from shore around the marinas (mostly for salmon). Each video seems to show everyone using lures.
    Is it legal to use bait (like roe or herring chunks) in those areas?
    I will be in Alaska Wednesday of this week for 10 days. Since I don't have a boat (except charters) available, I just wanted to see what other options I have.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    I like to review the fishing videos on YOUTUBE (especially Alaskan). Lately I have seen several people saltwater fishing from shore around the marinas (mostly for salmon). Each video seems to show everyone using lures.
    Is it legal to use bait (like roe or herring chunks) in those areas?
    I will be in Alaska Wednesday of this week for 10 days. Since I don't have a boat (except charters) available, I just wanted to see what other options I have.
    In general bait is allowed in the salt. Here is the link.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ulations.sport

I almost exclusively fish with bait from shore for salmon in the salt, but I fish mostly for silver salmon. When they are hitting, they'll hit anything, I just prefer using bait. I seem to have the best luck that way. But, for pink salmon, lures like pixies seem to work extremely well.