Thread: Thoughts on Twist Rate for 338/06

Default Thoughts on Twist Rate for 338/06

I am having a custom job done and have selected a Pre-64 action and PacNor barrel or krieger. I am kinda stuck on wether to go with a 10" or 12" twist rate. As I have grown to respect the wealth of knowledge on this Board; what do you all think is the better of the two? I am leaning to 12 as I have no interest in launching anything heavier than 225 gr. so was thinking the 12" would be better. The 210 Nosler probably be my go to bullet with the 225 Hornday as second choice.

I'm leaning towards 1:10 for versatility. It won't have to much spin and any of the 338 bullets can be used. If you go 1:12 you could quite possibly limit your selection if you decided to go heavier/longer.

Just a quick look at Ruger, Remington and Winchester shows they all choose a 1:10 with a 30-06 and a 338WM. Your 1:12 twist may do fine but a 1:10 won't do you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    I am having a custom job done and have selected a Pre-64 action and PacNor barrel or krieger. I am kinda stuck on wether to go with a 10" or 12" twist rate. As I have grown to respect the wealth of knowledge on this Board; what do you all think is the better of the two? I am leaning to 12 as I have no interest in launching anything heavier than 225 gr. so was thinking the 12" would be better. The 210 Nosler probably be my go to bullet with the 225 Hornday as second choice.
    I'd be hard pressed to order a .338 barrel that's not a 1:10 twist. However if I came across a deal on a 1:12 the slower twist would not keep me away. Though I've not tried it (my 338/06 has a 1:10) I doubt that the slower twist will fail to stabilize any manufacturer's 250 grain bullet and that's as heavy as I'd care to load in a 338/06. I suspect that if there is a difference in accuracy between the two twist rates with 200-250 grain bullets the differences would be measured in increments so small as to be inconsequential.

BTW, your rifle sounds like she'll be a beauty.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I would go with the 1-10. Understabilization can cause some real accuracy problems and both low velocity and slow twists contribute toward that problem. Over spinning can cause a bullet to tear itself apart if it has a thin jacket and is really spinning. 338 bullets do not have the thin jackets like varmit bullets and the 338/06 is not one of the faster 338s so it is very unlikely that you will be able to overspin a bullet in that cartridge. It is not difficult to under spin them especially with a slower twist and longer bullets. Although the 1-12 would probably be fine the 1-10 would eliminate any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Optimum twist rate is relativley easy to figure out if you know the diameter and and length of the bullets you are going to shoot. The formula is- bullet diamerter squared, times 150, divided by bullet length = optimum twist in inches. So take your bullet length and multiply by 2, then multiply that number by 150, and then divide by the length of the bullet. The answer is the twist rate that you need for those bullets....

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    Optimum twist rate is relativley easy to figure out if you know the diameter and and length of the bullets you are going to shoot. The formula is- bullet diamerter squared, times 150, divided by bullet length = optimum twist in inches. So take your bullet length and multiply by 2, then multiply that number by 150, and then divide by the length of the bullet. The answer is the twist rate that you need for those bullets....
    I didnt explain that correctly DUH... Bullet diameter squared is the bullet diameter times itself. NOT bullet diameter times 2. Soooo bullet diameter (inches), times bullet diameter (inches), times 150, then divided by bullet length(inches) equals optimum twist in inches. Sorry about that, no excuses....

Just wanted to get back to you fellows that were good enough to give me your 2 pennies worth. :O) Left my gunsmith today and am going with the PaNor Barrel 10" twist rate 5 groove recessed crown 338/06 AI. Settled on a #3 conture. Chrome Molly as I am going with the Rust Blueing. thanks again. Jeff