Thread: Thinking about an overnight Charter...

Default Thinking about an overnight Charter...

In my little Sea Runner I just can't get out far enough to get to any good sized haibut. I've been thinking about an overnighter out of Homer to fill the freezer up for winter. Have any of you had any experiences with these? Good ones? Bad Ones? What to look for? What to steer away from?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    In my little Sea Runner I just can't get out far enough to get to any good sized haibut. I've been thinking about an overnighter out of Homer to fill the freezer up for winter. Have any of you had any experiences with these? Good ones? Bad Ones? What to look for? What to steer away from?
    Chances of any bigger than chicken sized halibut on an overnighter can be a stretch. The bigger the boat the smaller the halibut. We were taken all the way to the barrens and still got chickens. They got to catch a lot of fish in a small time.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Has anyone on this forum had any experiences with Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer for overnight halibut fishing trips? Please feel free to PM me if you would rather than post on the open forum...

we had a good trip with them last week. big chickens is the game, but you get 4 for the price of two and are off the water by 10 am the following day.. great crew. it worked for us.

Tom

Tom- Was there any size the the halibut or were they all 20'ish chickens? Did you get into any rock fish or lings while you were out?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Tom- Was there any size the the halibut or were they all 20'ish chickens? Did you get into any rock fish or lings while you were out?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Once we started catching yellow eye we pulled anchor and hauled butt. They have to boat about 100+ fish in 10-12 hours with 2-3 lull at midnight. No time for lings or rockfish.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Stick with the day trip

For nearly the same money I would go with a reputable charter that will give you a shot at 50lb fish and possibly lings versus going on the over night deal where you will sit on the chicken holes till they have wore everyone's arms out reeling up chickens.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Check out bear country charters... or when your in homer look at what they hang up when they return. It will speak for it self.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Has anyone on this forum had any experiences with Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer for overnight halibut fishing trips? Please feel free to PM me if you would rather than post on the open forum...
    4 of us went last summer. You get about 4-5 hours the first night, tag 2 then grab a beer or a bunk. Then about 5 AM they put you back on the chicken farm. As soon as everyone gets 2, they head in. Largest fish was 30-35 lbs (and only one that huge) the rest were around 20 pounds. They were supposed to put us on a decent place after midnight........ It was 85 FOW and several guys fished 3-5 hours without a hit. You have to wait in line to fish to avoud tangles. It isn't too bad..... if you don't mind standing in line. Decent trip. Won't do it again. Boat decent, crew decent.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    4 of us went last summer. You get about 4-5 hours the first night, tag 2 then grab a beer or a bunk. Then about 5 AM they put you back on the chicken farm. As soon as everyone gets 2, they head in. Largest fish was 30-35 lbs (and only one that huge) the rest were around 20 pounds. They were supposed to put us on a decent place after midnight........ It was 85 FOW and several guys fished 3-5 hours without a hit. You have to wait in line to fish to avoud tangles. It isn't too bad..... if you don't mind standing in line. Decent trip. Won't do it again. Boat decent, crew decent.
    You forgot the part where there are 34 fisherman on the boat and only 20 fishing poles. 14 people stand in link like grade school and screw with everyone else fishing trying to get them to hurry up so they can get a line back in the water.

Yes, stay away from the huge overnight charters. It's a huge scam. They run out a long ways, sit in one spot and fish till everyone has their stuff.

If you are serious about a GOOD overnighter, email Mike Swan at spirit charters and talk to him about doing an overnighter. He only takes 4 people but they always get fish over 80# and his boat is marvelous.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.