Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Flying over Canada to Alaska with a gun

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Flying over Canada to Alaska with a gun

    I will be flying up to the Arctic Circle next month from San Diego Via Alaska and I understand a gun is a required part of the survival gear... However, I know you can't bring a gun into Canada from the US. Will the Canadians allow you to fly over Canada without stopping? if they make you stop will they permit you to keep the gun or is it a first class ticket to jail?Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007


    This answer is from:

    U.S. and Canadian customs permit aircraft to overfly the respective countries and return to the original country of departure without reporting to customs. Overflights that originate and end in the United States require that the pilot file and activate a VFR or IFR flight plan. Pilots should write "Canadian overflight—no landing" in the remarks section of the flight plan. A Mode A and C transponder is currently required by the U.S. government to cross the U.S. border in either direction, inbound or outbound. You must also be in communication with a U.S. ATC agency before crossing the border. Sport pilots are not allowed to conduct this type of overflight operation without prior authorization because the certificate does not meet ICAO and Canadian rules. Interested in more information on international operations? Visit our International Flying section online.
    Also from:
    The following:

    Overflights that originate and end in the United States require that the pilot must file a flight plan, and Canadian regulations must be observed when flying in Canadian airspace. Write “Canada overflight” in the remarks section of the flight plan.
    Note: The Canadian government now charges U.S.-registered aircraft for ATC services based on the aircraft certified gross weight. The current fee as of March 2009 is $17.00 CAN per quarter for aircraft under 2 metric tons (4,410 lb gross) and $56.75 for aircraft between 2 and 3 metric tons (up to 6,614 lb gross). See the NavCanada Web site for details for aircraft in higher weight classes. Also, weight-based fees for use of the airport terminal may apply at some airports.
    eAPIS is not required for overflights.

  3. #3


    Things like sport rifles (5 shot max capacity), and shotguns are not a problem. You simply declare them at the border and fill out a form. There is official info here.

    Also here.

    hings like handguns, assault rifles, are a big problem. A 5 shot 30-06 bolt action rifle is simply a matter of declaring it. Minimum barrel length is i believe 18".

  4. #4


    There is also a $25 Canadian fee.

  5. #5
    Member AK-HUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006


    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I understand a gun is a required part of the survival gear...
    1. I don't believe that's the case anymore.

    2. If you overfly and you have to land because of wx/maintenance issue/whatever with a handgun, you are screwed.

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010


    Don't know about post 9/11, but flyers used to be able to declare a pistol on the way into Canada, at which time the would seal your iron in a plastic bag. You then showed the the sealed bag on your way out and that was it. Did a 44 mag that way for a Super Cub trip a few years back. But if you forgot to get credit for the sealed packed upon exit, then their computers would give you credit for gun smuggling and you'd see the inside of a slammer when next visiting Canada. Truth is, you could sneak a round or two into the chamber thru a small hole in the plastic bag while in bear country. But that was then and now is now. Also, check out the barrel length. I have a 30-30 carbine that sure doesn't look like a pistol to me, but is less than Canada's 26 inch limit. Almost caused a international crisis but for an extraordinarily good natured Fed.Canuck. Unfortunately, such authoritative dispositions seem rare these days. That too was then and now is now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010


    "However, I know you can't bring a gun into Canada from the US."

    Not true. Follow the link to the RCMP web site.

  8. #8


    Like to add. The $25 Canadian is only if you plan on carrying it for protection from bears while staying in Canada. If you are only transporting the firearm thru to Alaska, I don't think there is a fee.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts