Thread: Strike Anywhere Matches?? Where to get them?

Default Strike Anywhere Matches?? Where to get them?

Maybe not the right forum to post this but it is for the cabin. Looking for Strike Anywhere Matches and can't find them in Anchorage. I hate having to tape the "Strike on Box" box next to the stove. Want some strike anywhere matches.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I bought a bunch of boxes of them at Fred Myers a few years ago.

Freddy's hasn't carried them for several years. Try a good hardware store. In Fairbanks Sampson Hardware is the place.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ace Hardware, has them. For propane stove I use a striker.

Three Bears on the Palmer Wassilla hiway has them. I just bought 6 boxes a few days ago as they are getting harder to find. Won't be long before they are outlawed. They are dangerous. Don't you know you could start a fire with one of those things.

I've got them if you are anywhere near Talkeetna...Moores' Hardware
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sorry AkDoug. Went to Three Bears today and bought their last six boxes. Thanx for the info everyone.

Default Strike Anywhere Matches

Three Bears just got two cases in should be on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    ....They are dangerous. Don't you know you could start a fire with one of those things.

Well, sometimes you can start fires with them. The strike anywhere matches I've been buying the past few years seem to be getting poorer and poorer quality. I can't seem to get them to strike reliably on much of any surface other than the box, and not entirely perfect peformance even there. I ended up cutting a piece of the stirker board and putting it in my match safe, then just gave up and bought good quality matches for outdoors stuff, the waterproof and sometimes the windproof matches. If I had to have a piece of striker board anyway, figured I may as well have better matches.

I just buy the strike on box matches for making fires at home, and the kitchen stove. The extra money for the strike anywhere's didnt seem worth it because of the reliabilty problems. Couldnt get them to light off my woodstove very well, and have given up on them as field matches. Seems like years ago, they would light off of almost anything.

Walmart in the lower 48 have them, but they often aren't by the strike on box matches, you have to hunt around for them.

Walmart in Eagle River usually has them, but the current version is pretty pathetic.

I bought a box of strike anywhere matches about a month ago. They will barely spark when you use the striking surface on the outside of the box they came in.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

One thing I've noticed with matches is they seem to degrade with moisture in the air. If you're going to store them for some time, put them in a vacuum packed bag, they'll be as good as new even years later.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.