Thread: Met Up With Some Kayakers From Nova Scotia

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Met Up With Some Kayakers From Nova Scotia

Met some folks up here on the Kenai from Nova Scotia this morning.Real nice folks.They are wanting to do some kayaking up here so we discussed going on the Kenai but decided to start off with a more laid back excursion .So we will be heading up to the Swanson River to padldle around up that way.No telling what kind of fish we'll run into...probably some trout,maybe some dolly varden,who knows maybe a stray salmon or two.Stay tuned ---more to come.

Swanson, eh? Sounds like fun. I don't make it up that way too much anymore. Beautiful area though! Give us a report!

Its been pretty good for rainbow trout on the lakes,, and kinda slow in the river for trout,, but I know you can catch them if anyone can mark..
    I took a couple of bird watchers out their a few days ago and did catch some 12 inch rainbow on canoe lake 1 and 2 and also on waterfowl lake..
    funny thing,, waterfowl lake did not have any waterfowl on it...lol... the swans that are usually at that lake were not there this year ,, or the loons.. canoe lake 1 had both swans and loons.. and some duck families..
    a eagle nest is between the two lakes and I did see them flying around..
    also saw an Osprey so they are tough on young ducks and swans etc..
    fishing with dark purple leeche pattern flies in the weed beds , or black is always good this time of year..
    for spinners,, I troll a pink, orange or green syclops lure,, #2 size ,,
    also rooster tails in #2 work well..
    for the kids.. I drift a salmon egg with a small lead shot about 18 inches above with a small #8 or 10 hook..
    put your kayak up wind side of lake,, toss out a salmon egg on a hook and lead shot to get it to the bottom and let the wind drift you accross the lake... nice time for a nap in the sun.. and you can usually catch something of interest..
    have fun..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Kind of a sad non-report

After I tracked down Ted and Sherry at Kenai River Retreat on Sunday we had made plans to go out to the Swanson River.The forecast for Monday was pretty wet sounding so I called them Sunday night to see if they would rather try for Tuesday with a nicer forecast."Okay" was the reply.
    Monday night I could not connect by phone after several attempts.They have my phone number but I have not heard from them all week.I understand that vacation time is limited and don't want to impose any time constraints on someone else's precious time.So I'm wondering what to do now...........They did mention taking a charter trip or two so I have no doubt that they are filling their time with plenty of activity but I feel bad that we haven't made a trip out with the kayaks.I don't feel right pestering someone....so I guess the ball is in their court.
    Would any of you push harder ? It is their vacation,not mine, but I do have the time off......and have no problem taking folks out and showing them some spots that are unique,interesting,and fun.Plus I have the boats available for their use.Maybe I'll call again today and at least give it another shot.
    And Max...thanks for all the great tips.Always appreciated !There is another guy coming up from Milwalkie (Wisconson or Oregon)(not sure which) that wants to go out as well and should be here in Soldotna on Monday.Kardinal-84 and I hope to drift the lower Kenai then and would be happy for Jammer to come along and join the party.I beleive he will be in Eagle River Friday so hopefully he will make some contact and we can get more out-of-staters expierencing this Great Land.