Thread: check's in the mail

Default check's in the mail

Saturday was red hot in both the Kenai and Kasilof,while the setnets were out and the drift fleet were out in force in the corridor hammering Kenai and Kasilof sockeye. Further proof that the dipping is poor when the nets are out is the third biggest lie.

I think you are confused gunner. If the fish numbers are fairly low, the commercial openers will kill the following day for dipnetting and 18-36 hours later for sport fishing the lower river. Saturday could have only been affected by an opener on Friday, which there wasn't one. Dipnetting was excellent today because there is such a huge push of fish. The commercial guys can't kill them all when there is a overwhelming run of fish pushing through (even though they would like to kill them all).
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    I think you are confused gunner. If the fish numbers are fairly low, the commercial openers will kill the following day for dipnetting and 18-36 hours later for sport fishing the lower river. Saturday could have only been affected by an opener on Friday, which there wasn't one. Dipnetting was excellent today because there is such a huge push of fish. The commercial guys can't kill them all when there is a overwhelming run of fish pushing through (even though they would like to kill them all).
    I agree. And just because you are netting fish does not mean they JUST came in from the salt. Although the netting was poor Friday, the fish pushed in hard over night. The com nets dropped at 7am... so if the com nets likely did catch every fish attempting to enter, it is very likely there were plenty of fish already in for the dipnets to enjoy.

I am not confused. I have been killin salmon here for 30 years, and ever since this new fishery came along I have heard constant complaints about the nets in the water and will there be an opener should I go. The nets hit the water at 7a.m. right in front of both rivers and when I came back into the river at 8p.m jumpers were poppin and dipnets were full. Many a time I have fished in front of the river mouth with my 900' gillnet to return with 30 fish after 12 hours while friends have dipnetted 100+ in a couple hours. The fact is, when the fish decide to hit the river it doesn't matter if the nets are in or not. Dipnetting will be good. Same goes for if the fish aren't entering the river- whether the nets are in or not, the dippin will be poor. That is the fact.

I concur with gunner. My brother and his wife and in-laws were on the Kenai Saturday and Today and they cleaned house. I think, as has been stated, that when the fish push up the river there is plenty for everyone. I have noted that a lot of dipnetters tend to be "glass half empty" types that expect to rake in copious amounts of fish on the particular date they chose for their sojourn to the river. If the fish aren't there it is automaticaly the fault of the evil commercial guys with the evil F&G Management a close second. Heck as seen here, even when the fishing is good the commercial guys are still making it bad for dipnetters somehow! There are hundreds of thousands of fish in the rivers and enough for everyone. IMHO people should be thankful they can get fish like they can here and take a sliver of responsibility for their timing when the dipping is slow rather than automaticaly blaming all the "other guys".

The fishing on Sunday from the comm boats being out on Saturday was definately affected. Given the number of fish of that came through the river Saturday, Sunday should have been red hot, but it was dead from what I heard Sunday morning, and Sunday night was decent, but not what one would have expected.

I'm not complaining, it is what it is, and having your net in the water at the right time is where it's at. But to say the comm boats have no affect on the number of fish that enter the river is simply not true.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The fishing on Sunday from the comm boats being out on Saturday was definately affected. Given the number of fish of that came through the river Saturday, Sunday should have been red hot, but it was dead from what I heard Sunday morning, and Sunday night was decent, but not what one would have expected.
    You must be talking about a river other than the Kenai. It was a fish bonanza.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I also heard Sunday reports of and witnessed mediocre fishing following the banner Saturday.

we were there sunday AM started fishing at 6am and was done by 8 110 red, everyone limited sunday morning we have never seen that many fish, it was crazy fishing.we had to stop all the fish was sinking the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

I'm not complaining, it is what it is, and having your net in the water at the right time is where it's at. But to say the comm boats have no affect on the number of fish that enter the river is simply not true.
    That's not what I heard. I had friends that limited out in a couple hours Sunday afternoon.