Thread: eklutna trail

Default eklutna trail

I am planning on going up to eklutna trail to ride my prowler on that 13 mile trail that is there. I researched it on line and this is what it says,

ATVs or small off road vehicles are allowed on two trails in the park: the Bird Creek Trail and the Eklutna Lakeside Trail. Eklutna Trail is open to ATVs Sunday through Wednesday, April 1st through November 30th only. ATVs must have safety equipment as required by state law. Operators must have a valid driver's license, or have an instruction permit and be accompanied by an adult of 18 or older, or, if under 14 years, be accompanied by an adult of 21 years or older. Please note that motorcycles are prohibited. 11 AAC 20.015, AS 28.15.011, AS 28.151

I found on the enternet where it says ATVers must have helmets. I guess what I am trying to find out is do i have to wear a helmet while riding at Eklutna on a UTV or small off road vehicle? I have yet to find laws about UTV's. If anyone has been there on a UTV or ATV with or without a helmet your input will be appreciated.

It is a great ride with beautiful scenery. Remember that the *********s that run the place only let you because they have to. If they find any reason to ruin your day, they will.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I found on the enternet where it says ATVers must have helmets. I guess what I am trying to find out is do i have to wear a helmet while riding at Eklutna on a UTV or small off road vehicle? I have yet to find laws about UTV's. If anyone has been there on a UTV or ATV with or without a helmet your input will be appreciated.
    dlkgeorge2524
    Where did you find this?

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm
    Rules of Chugach State Park
    Aircraft landings are limited to the "Bold" Airstrip, located at the up-valley end of Eklutna Lake. Be aware that the gravel airstrip is not maintained. 11 AAC 20.020

ATVs or small off road vehicles are allowed on two trails in the park: the Bird Creek Trail and the Eklutna Lakeside Trail. Eklutna Trail is open to ATVs Sunday through Wednesday, April 1st through November 30th only. ATVs must have safety equipment as required by state law. Operators must have a valid driver's license, or have an instruction permit and be accompanied by an adult of 18 or older, or, if under 14 years, be accompanied by an adult of 21 years or older. Please note that motorcycles are prohibited. 11 AAC 20.015, AS 28.15.011, AS 28.151

Quote Originally Posted by dkgeorge2524 View Post
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm
    Rules of Chugach State Park

Aircraft landings are limited to the "Bold" Airstrip, located at the up-valley end of Eklutna Lake. Be aware that the gravel airstrip is not maintained. 11 AAC 20.020

I think he was asking where on the internet you found that it said you must wear helmets.

In the sight that I found, Alaska Detp of Public safety, it stated in part that helmets 'should' be worn but nothing about them required.

I have ridden the trail many times summer/fall/winter and have not worn a helmet on my way to the backside of the lake. I have even stopped to talk to the park rangers along the way without and had no issues with them. I am ,however, am NOT hauling butt through the trail and not being disrespectful to others who share the park.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I've had nothing but good experiences with the park staff in Eklutna while riding my ATV. I have had a couple close calls with oncoming idiots on a couple blind corners. Regardless of how slow I am going, I can't control those other guys, so I wear a helmet just like I do on any other ride. We just putt along at less than 25mph and enjoy the scenery. It's plenty fast and it allows you to easily react to all the other multiuse traffic on the trail.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You don't hav to wear a helmet, we just rode there yesterday and didn't wear them. We usually ride there 2-3 times a year and have never worn a helmet. Bring binos and a spotter, we saw over 10 bears there yesterday but not many sheep. Have fun and ride safe.

Sorry should is the key word, must have had a brain fart.
    I rode there sunday and was one of the most relaxing rides I have been on.

Helmet:
    A helmet is the single most important piece of personal protectionan ATV rider can wear. You should wear one every time you ride. Encouragefriends and family to wear helmets as well. Large numbers of injuries and fatalitiescould be prevented each year by the use of helmets with a snug fitting chinstrap. Ifyou ride frequently after dark, strips of reflective tape on the helmet add extraprotection by increasing visibility. Not only do helmets offer protection fromcollision, tree branches, and falls, they provide warmth and some protection from
    noise.
    Helmet:

What does the law have to do with being safe. If I need the law to keep me from hurting myself then I should not be on a wheeler. Wearing a helmet has to do with being responsible and wanting to make it back without injury. How fast I go should not dictate wether a helmet should be worn or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    In the sight that I found, Alaska Detp of Public safety, it stated in part that helmets 'should' be worn but nothing about them required.

MTRNR
    What does the law have to do with being safe. If I need the law to keep me from hurting myself then I should not be on a wheeler. Wearing a helmet has to do with being responsible and wanting to make it back without injury. How fast I go should not dictate wether a helmet should be worn or not.

I think the law should not dictate whether or not they can make us wear helmets. It is our choice on whether we should have to wear them. Same with seatbelts in cars, but thats a different subject. It is part of lifes natural selection in my opinion. I do wear a helmet most times on an ATV because it is my choice and want to teach my kids the right way. The only time i dont is when im pulling my little yard trailer doing yard work. I think a UTV is a little different if it has a roll cage which is certified. I am safer in my UTV than in a car going down the Glenn and if I do happen to die while riding it, then oh well **** happens. Thats the choice I made, not anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    If anyone has been there on a UTV or ATV with or without a helmet your input will be appreciated.
    I and none of my family have every worn a helmet on this "trail". We go slow and fun. A stationwagon could make this trail, and did until some years back when the stationwagon-preventing poles were driven in.