Thread: Traditions Vortex

Default Traditions Vortex

I'm contemplating on buying one of these. I like the way they look, and they do look like a lot of fun. Does anyone own a Traditions Vortex? If so what are your likes and dislikes about this gun? Thanks in advance!!!

It doesn't look like anyone here has experience with the Vortex, Josh.

What is it you like about the model, compared to other models and brands?

Yeah most Alaskans I talk to don't hunt with a muzzleloader. Seems like archery is much more popular with folks. I have lived in Alaska for 8 years and I'm getting ready to head back to the lower 48. I'm in the middle of buying a large plot of land in Arkansas. Muzzloading season is a big deal down there. I like the Vortex mainly becuase
    it's extremely light weight. Im a disabled veteran and every ounce helps. It's also very
    easy to clean compared to other inline rifles and parts and assesories seem to be found
    with ease. I own all kinds of guns but I don't own a muzzleloader yet. It really seems
    like fun. I was just wondering if anyone could give me posetive and negative
    information, about this muzzleloader.
    Thanks for your reply

I don't recall which is which, but I know there are a number of sites around devoted to inlines. You might search one of those out and post the question there. I'm not trying to run you off from here, rather I'm trying to help you find the info you need.

I know what you mean about Alaskans and muzzleloaders though. There are hot spots of enthusiasts around (I live in one), but they are devoted almost entirely to traditional sidelocks. Within about 2 miles of my house there are 8 of us that shoot muzzleloaders regularly and hunt with them almost exclusively. But among the 30 or 40 muzzleloaders we own between us, there's only one inline. It's mine, and it's in a closet somewhere. I bet I haven't shot it in 5 years, though I average over 100 shots a month with my sidelocks.

Well thanks for the information BrownBear. I've found mostly great reviews about the Votex. I'm also discovering that "inline" is a dirty little word, in the muzzleloading community lol. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_AK View Post
    Well thanks for the information BrownBear. I've found mostly great reviews about the Votex. I'm also discovering that "inline" is a dirty little word, in the muzzleloading community lol. Take care
    Glad you're finding the info you need, Josh. Inline became a dirty word when the marketers used claims against the traditional models as a sales pitch for their new inlines. The guys who like traditional guns have been defensive ever since. No changing it, I think. I'm entertained by my inline when I get around to shooting it, but it's nowhere near as interesting as my traditionals. But I sure don't talk about my inline on traditional sites, either!

Curious if you ended up with a Traditions Vortex.
    I have a Winchester Apex and CVA Kodiak Pro and have been thinking about picking up a Vortex.
    I get quite a bit of powder blow-by on the Winchester and CVA and figure this would be minimal with the o-ring on the Vortex.
    I would be curious to hear your report is you did purchase one.

Brian

Yes I have had mine going on 3 years. They are accurate ( with the right load VERY accurate ) easy to use and clean and fairly reasonable. Mine loves Buckhorn 209 and hornady 300 grain sabots. I live outside of Ak. so i down load it but i can keep a 3 inch group at 200 yrds. and thats better than i can do with my Ruger 77.