Thread: Reds: Weights and Leaders

Default Reds: Weights and Leaders

For you spin fishers, a question, what is your favorite weights to usem and how long a leader to boot?

I don't get salmon fishing nearly as often as I'd like to figure it all out for myself. I'm looking for the shortcuts thanks to this forum and you fine folks here!

I tried pencil lead weights but it feels just awful dragging the bottom. Tried split shots too with an 8 foot lead and liked that better but seemed to fould hook more.

Feel like helping me out?

I like to tie a barrel swivel at the end of my mainline. Then I put on 4-5 feet of mono that is lighter than whatever my mainline is (I have always liked 17lb Stren and have done well with it). I like going lighter so it isn't too hard to break the leader if I do snag up. I always just attach 3-6 size 5 split shot above my barrel swivel based on how fast the current is and go from there. My wife and I have never had a problem catching our limits in short order rigged up that way. If you are foul-hooking lots of fish, experiment with the length of your leader, that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    I like to tie a barrel swivel at the end of my mainline. Then I put on 4-5 feet of mono that is lighter than whatever my mainline is (I have always liked 17lb Stren and have done well with it). I like going lighter so it isn't too hard to break the leader if I do snag up. I always just attach 3-6 size 5 split shot above my barrel swivel based on how fast the current is and go from there. My wife and I have never had a problem catching our limits in short order rigged up that way. If you are foul-hooking lots of fish, experiment with the length of your leader, that should help.
    I basically do the exact same thing only i'm too lazy to use swivels so I just tie the fly to my mainline and put split shot right on the mainline too. Start with around 3-4' of leader, 8 is WAY too much and probably why your snagging a bunch. In fast water i'll cut my leader down to 2' and use 4-5 of the biggest split shot. Slower water a 4' leader and 1 big splitshot, keep a few smaller splitshot in your pocket and you can fine tune your drift.

I fished a new spot on the Kenai tonight with way different bottom contour and current than my normal spot. I went from the 2' leader and 5 split shot to a 4' leader and 1 split shot before I caught fish. Took me about 3 hours to find them (at my feet) and then got 3 in about 20 minutes.

I've had good luck with 20# clear blue stren, tie fly right to the end, twist on a rubber core Gremlin about 5 feet up and your good to go.
    With the rubber core there's no line pinch and you can adjust it to what ever length you want in the blink of an eye.
    If you decide to move to a different spot just twist it off so it doesn't slap against your pole and damage it.
    Simple as can be and very effective.

It's gotta be the Gremlin brand though, any others i have tried would never stay put and you are constantly having to re-adjust.

On the Kenai 3/4 oz should treat you right.

I like using surgical tubing and lead pencil weight. Run the line, (I use 17# Stren and no leader) through the tubing and twist off a length of lead appropriate to the water you're fishing and push it into the tubing- after a while you'll learn to judge just how much lead to use to keep your fly near the bottom but moving downstream. What I like about this system is its adaptability to changing conditions, and lack of hangups- I'll occasionally get a fly hooked on a rock, buy my sinker never hangs up. Tie on your fly 18" down from the weight, and you're golden. Happy fishing!

I like fishing a fly rod (flippen) with floating line and 20lb test leaders tied to a barrel swivel. You want to be able to break off your leader if snagged or risk loosing a great deal of line if your hook is tied directly to the main line. I prefer to use pencil lead. A lot depends on the swiftness of the current and the bottom contour. Split shot is great when the bottom is not too snaggy. I also like using a 2/0 hook with colored yarn when not fishing the fly only section. When a fish strikes the yarn gets caught in the fishes teeth giving you an extra second or so to set the hook.

I always thought the game was a long leader flailing thru the current was more apt to end up in a sockeyes mouth. People tell me the things have their mouths open a lot and the line flosses them.

Would the snagless sinkers be better than a pencil lead and chunk of tubing? It just feels so nasty dragging a pencil lead across the bottom!