Thread: .416 ruger report

Default .416 ruger report

I loaded up two batches
    350 Swift A frames
    350 Barnes TTSX

The A frames averaged 2350 fps at the 15' mark
    The TTSX averaged 2210 fps at the 15' mark

The long TTSX had me concerned about case capacity so I used less powder than the A-frames. This is in the 20" Ruger Alaskan.

The TTSX are wicked accurate and shot a great group at that speed. Should I try and and mess with a good thing and squeeze more powder into that case? The recoil was just fine for that load. There is just a fixed 4 scope on the rifle so I'm not expecting shots past 300 yards.

Thanks

Hard to fix what ain't broke Bighorse - even if you squeeze another 100 fps outa the TT's it really won't make a difference to the critters you use it on I reckon. If your happy with the accuracy you have a great load that will do the trick.
    Now if your REALLY into reloading then play with it some....
    If the critters are 300yds or more, ya can shoot whilst running at them, that should give ya another 5 - 10 FPS also

Man, I wish I had a good reason to have a setup like that - I am envious you have both the gun and the game to hunt with it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Good enough

It's gonna stay like it is. Thanks for that imput. Your right, it's fun owning a gun like this and actually have it justified. The first critter I'm going after with it is a mt goat in two weeks.

I'm sure you know already, but Barnes also makes a 300 gr bullet for the 416... which may be nice for smaller game and your scoped 416.

Cheers and good luck to you on your goat hunt.

Thanks for the report!

Default 300g

I've got the 300g Barnes tsx. I just haven't done the load development on them yet. I would like them for deer. I'm just concerned about accuracy out of that short flat based bullet.

Did you try any 300gr TSX Barnes

For what ever it's worth I've had great success out of the 270gr and 300gr TSX in the 375 Alaskan. Both bullets are flat based TSX designs.

I would imagine with a little testing your 20" 416 Ruger will do fine too. Play around with your seating depth in .025 increments and you will find a winner.

My Production Ruger bore was a little rough. Be sure to make cleaning a very important part of your testing. I used the Tubbs Final Finish bullets and polished my bore. I highly recommend it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger 375 Alaskan.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	51303

Rodger on the seating and on the rough barrel. I just cleaned it today and still have all kinds of copper fouling on the rifling. The accuracy I'm getting is very good though. I'm shooting 350g A frames at 2350 and 350 TTSX at 2200. I knocked over a 9.5 yr old mt. goat and big buck this year with it. Both animals were a boom flop. Almost too big of a flop as they both took a bad tumble.

I like the firearm and in 100% honesty I have no flinch and in hunting conditions recoil is a non-issue. I made sure to note my perception when making those off hand shots and found it to be a very appropriate round to carry and use for up close shooting situations.

For distance, not-so-much. I had one long bomb I tried for an alpine buck....long story but I essentially got cliffed out while trying to close the distance and the .416 Ruger Alaskan wasn't up to the task of that long shot. I wasn't at all surprised to see a complete miss there.

Default Follow up

I continued using the 350 ttsx rounds for deer and built plenty of confidence using the Ruger Hawkeye for SE hunting. I never questioned shooting through light brush at known targets. It also didn't pound my shoulder like my 350 aframe rounds going faster.
    I'll be loading up more of these ttsx rounds for future use without question. If only they cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I'm sure you know already, but Barnes also makes a 300 gr bullet for the 416... which may be nice for smaller game and your scoped 416.

Cheers and good luck to you on your goat hunt.
    I get one inch groups at about 2700fps from my 416 Rigby with the Barnes 300gn TSX. I use 107 grains of H4831, Fed Mag rifle match primers out of Norma brass. Very happy with that I am. They started to spread out at 108gns. 7828SSC was another good one for accuracy but wouldn't push the velocity as fast.

I use BL-C(2) behind the 350 gr Speer Hot-Cor semi-spitzer in my 416 Rem mag for a chronographed 2625 fps.

They shoot nice 1" cloverleafs at 100 yds off sandbags. Federal 215 mag primers. Mild pressures, but plenty of recoil.