Thread: Getting some broccoli & cabbage in

Default Getting some broccoli & cabbage in

Froze up a bunch of broccoli & made a batch of kraut.
    Grand kids love raw cabbage/
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see a lot of gardens and you are at least a week ahead of them. Your garden looks great!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Do you make any dill cabbage? It is one of my favorite ways to preserve cabbage. Looking good in the garden.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Froze up a bunch of broccoli & made a batch of kraut.
    Grand kids love raw cabbage/
    Mudbuddy
    Your Garden always looks so good... We finally picked and ate some real Vine Ripened Tomatoes... along with several GH cucumbers... I goofed in the placement of my 2 cuc plants... I put them on the south side of the GH and eventually they are going to block a lot of sunshine... Another "lesson" to be applied next year... We too began freezing some broccoli, because we couldn't to keep up with just the few plants we have...

Thanks all
    1st time for kraut, remember helping Dad back in WV but he had a big, slaw, "cabbage slicer/shredder" gizmo.
    John
    How good was the tomatoes ? Way to go; fresh frozen brocc is almost as good as fresh, (Great tasting in December).

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Thanks all
    1st time for kraut, remember helping Dad back in WV but he had a big, slaw, "cabbage slicer/shredder" gizmo.
    John
    How good was the tomatoes ? Way to go; fresh frozen brocc is almost as good as fresh, (Great tasting in December).
    Mudbuddy
    The Vine Ripened Tomatoes were as delicious as anticipated... So now that the lady in charge has sampled vine ripened tomatoes, and fresh (delicious) cucumbers out of the green house, she turned to me over coffee this morning, and asked... Why the .... didn't you build a green house a long time ago...?? Gosh I don't know, maybe I was just too busy trying to earn a living...
    Yes fresh frozen greens in Dec and Jan are very welcome...
    We always grow a row of beets... put the tops up as spinach, and If I'm really lucky she'll pickle a bunch of the beets, but just sliced and frozen they taste really good mid-winter...

what is causing my brocolli to flower really loosely???? My furrior was by yesterday said his did the same thing?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I pick mine before the heads gets loose. My guess is timing.
    Here is a head (raining now) that should be ready in a few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    what is causing my brocolli to flower really loosely???? My furrior was by yesterday said his did the same thing?
    Ironartist
    I've had the same problem as you describe in previous years... this year I buried the starts in much deeper, clear up to the first set of leaves... and my broccoli are producing like Mudbuddies... a couple plants made monster heads for the first cutting... and the side heads are looking as good as the first now... I don't know if burying them deeper did it but I'll keep doing it that way until something proves otherwise...

Broccoli likes regular and even watering. Get irregular and it'll bolt, preceded by loose flowering heads. Wife's broccoli is really good this year. Zucchini is prolific. Onions and shallots are kicking butt. Huge lettuce year so far for both iceberg and leaf types. Cabbages are healthy and look excellent. Mustard greens, radishes, and spinach are through the second generation and ready for a third. Beets look great. Plenty of peas and green beans to make a few meals. Tomatoes are doing well, too. Chard and book choy served us well early but are past their prime now. So far it's been a great gardening season.

well I wish I could say the same, I guess the first year out is trial and error since I have no one to really ask for help
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ