Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooly 29' hits the sea!

Default Wooly 29' hits the sea!

hey all.been awhile...have the boat in the salt finally at prince rupert for 3 weeks!...been a steep learning curve but we are still safe!!!(thanks for all the help).....4 days fishing so far,,,,,still not going to far from the marina, but we are catching fish.....wife caught a chicken halibut--first ever, so the boat has hali blood on it!!.....have a few pics to share, then back to the boat,,,,we have internet, but it is "iffy"??............anyway, for those interestes i will add to this tread as the trip progreses!..larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Hi Pez,

Where will be your final destination? Very nice boat btw!!!

Looks like Tugwell or Big Bay area?

Very nice. Good to see you back on here.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for posting Larry, good to see you getting some time on the boat. 3 weeks in Prince Ruppert? Hopefully you will get out and about a bit. Plenty of places to go from there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

hi again...(12 pm)...right now we are in the marina waiting for the "gale" to hit us!...25-35 knot winds are going to hit us i guess?/....thought best to stay put!!.....yesterday we tried the mouth of the skenna river south of here, heard the halis were chasing the sockey's etc, but with all the rain we have been getting the water is very murky, so never got any halis or salmon...did burn some fuel tho!..LOL!.....
    yes, SO, i havnt forgot you want some burn numbers!!).....here's a couple,,,,one engine-500 rpm ,3 mph= .18 gal/hr(cheap)..all the way up to 45+ mph- 2 engines-5750 rpm, 34mpg(eek).......32 mph is about 19-20 gph..........all these numbers seem to go up and down depending on whats going on, all the crap i have in the boat, currents etc--- but i will narrow it down eventually!.....

MPG-- 2 engines seem to show 1.4 to 1.9 mpg at various crusing speeds(25-40 mph).so, not sure if these nubers are good or bad?.....

mom and dad are in today for a couple of days fishing--his 78th birthday, so hope we get to go out tommorw?...have a few pics to post!......later guys ! capt PG

our first ratfish?....snagged it in about 120 feet.

we have eaten crab twice now....our traps are just on the other side of the harbor.....ratio seems to be about 10/1 females to legal males!...anything closer that 60 feet, the big starfish hit hard!!...80 feet seems the best here!

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck View Post
    Looks like Tugwell or Big Bay area?
    yes, we leave by tugwell..then head out!....so far we have made it as far as stephans island and the tree kng group...thats were we are catching the coho's and one small spring!......when i grow a "pair" and the weather is better, gonna go the the north of dundas,,,hear its good there,,thats were the chapters are going i guess?.....

Quote Originally Posted by highlife View Post
    Hi Pez,

Where will be your final destination? Very nice boat btw!!!
    hey highlife,,,we are staying put always returning to the maina at night until i get more comfidence in my self and learn what this boat can do!!...cross currents/ swells/fog is all new to me!....especially the docking!!....but, i am starting to calm down!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Thanks for posting Larry, good to see you getting some time on the boat. 3 weeks in Prince Ruppert? Hopefully you will get out and about a bit. Plenty of places to go from there.
    hey jr...........well, heading out in the FOG is freaky to me to say the least,,,,,depth/chart/fog/radar --learning curve is steep--but fun!...

i went about 6 miles with instruments only --in the fog, to come out in the sunshine right were i was was going!! COOL! ,, i can only imagine the old timers and no gps or radar!! wow!

this pic is the first time heading out into the fog, it only got thicker!....

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Very nice. Good to see you back on here.
    what? no question about fuel numbers???

You gotta find a nice protected anchorage and stay the night on the hook. WAY better than being in the harbor, in my opinion.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    You gotta find a nice protected anchorage and stay the night on the hook. WAY better than being in the harbor, in my opinion.
    There's entertainment in the harbor or out on the hook. It just depends on which "wild life" you want to see. I agree with jrogers, being in a bay either rafted up with friends (new and old) or just by ourselves is way better than in the harbor.

Way more fun on the hook but I'm happy to see you ENJOYING your new boat .

Be SAFE and have a GREAT summer.

Thanks for the update! Great to hear that all is well and you are having a blast.

Larry, keep in mind that navigation in fog is easy with a gps & chart plotter. The tough part (and concern) is making sure you can see objects in the water early enough to miss them and also see other boaters early enough too. There are some less cautious boaters (that's a nice way to put it) that run way too fast in the fog, and you don't want them popping out of the fog bearing down on you. Also, use your installed horn (I'm sure you have one on your sweet boat) to make noise every minute or so to alert other boaters to your presence.

Good fishing!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast