Thread: is this a good revolver?

Default is this a good revolver?

I am going to buy my first hand gun, and I'm big on revolvers, (my dad has a few of both)

From what I've heard this is a pretty good gun, does anybody have any real world exerience with it?
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have the older Taurus 357 with a 6 inch barrel and love it. I would by another Taurus in a heartbeat. Real good trigger, not s S&W trigger, but very good for the price. I would feel very comfortable carrying it in the backwoods, as long as I didn't have to point it at a Brown!

I've had several of the Taurus revolvers over the years and they are a serviceable weapon generally available at an attractive price. I had a Tracker .44Mag and was not impressed with the porting- it works but I'm not a fan.

My experience is Taurus are not as well made as a S&W or Ruger or last as long if shot a lot with hotter loads. I'd buy used if I could because they don't typically hold their value very well and you can frequently get a great deal on a rarely shot revolver.

I would probably look for a used Ruger GP100 if I wanted a great .357 without spending big bucks unless the Taurus was just a screaming deal.

Having worked in sporting goods retail for a few years I can say that I've seen a higher percentage of Taurus wheelguns needing to go back to the factory for repairs than other comparable weapons. I do like the SS and rubber grips on the taurus you linked to. If you can save a bit more to move into a Ruger that would be my advice. I love the big colts and smiths, but I'm on a Ruger budget. I'd lean toward .44mag too, you can always shoot .44spl if you want a load closer to .357. just my 2 cents.

I would suggest just holding off a little longer until you can find a used Smith and Wesson. They can be had at a reasonable price and are a far superior machine to anything Taurus makes.

I would look for a used S&W 686 or 66. For used Ruger options I would find a Security Six or GP-100. The S&Ws can usually be found under $500, while I have bought two Security Sixs in the last year for less than $350.

While many people are satisfied with Taurus, the Ruger and S&W are superior.

I am with the other chaps - most of the time when I bought a lower valued brand of gun I regretted it later and usually ended up "upgrading" anyway. Rugers are hard to beat for a "working mans gun" for sure and are tough. S&W's are usually smoother and well made.
    Good luck with your decision, I have had the opportunity to shoot many Taurus hand guns and never had a malfunction - so I would hate to say they are poorly made as I think they have up'd their quality a lot over the years....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Taurus makes some good guns especially in 357 but I shy away from their light guns like Tracker or their Raging Bull in 454 as they have a reputation of not holding up. That said a 357 Tracker should be fine strength wise as the gun is made to take 44mag. I have a couple older Taurus 357s (model 65 I think they are) and they have been great serviceable guns for near about 25 years now.

However my advice to you would be just as others have said . . . hold out and look around for a buy on a used Ruger/S&W or Dan Wesson and it will always be worth at least what you have in it. Also if you want a woods gun get a 41mag/44mag/45 Colt as 357 is marginal at best for brown bear, great round for about anything else you may run into in Alaska though. If you donít reload 44 is your best bet due to ammo availability even though I donít like them much myself, 44 is just to hyped (worlds mostis woo-hoo) but it is a good solid performer with good ammo in any shop.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've heard that Taurus' higher-end guns are decent, but the two low-end guns I've bought were both garbage, so I'll never buy another Taurus. I've never handled, fired, borrowed or owned a Smith or Ruger that was anywhere near the poor quality of those Taurus lemons I bought. I'd advise saving for something you won't regret buying. The two Taurus guns I bought: a 2" .357 5-shot revolver. It was brand-new, and wildly out of time from the factory. So much so that I was grateful for the eye-pro I was wearing. It shaved off bullets and sent the shavings back at the shooter! The second is my son's Rossi Youth Combo (made by Taurus) in .243 and 20 gauge. The sling swivel stud stripped out of the stock on our first hunting trip. It IS an accurate rifle in .243, but the 20 gauge barrel doesn't accept chokes and with the factory setting it's useless beyond about 20 yards. And - they are made in Brazil. Buy American. Everything gun-related here is better than anything that comes from Brazil.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

While I prolly would take it as bear protection at times, mostly it would be just for giggles and for when I go grouse hunting and want to be able to shoot a bear or moose if I saw one (obviously at very close ranges with high quality bullets) the reason I want that over the 44 is as you all know, it can shoot 38's, and while I plan on using the gun for hunting. I'm sure 99% of its use will be target practicing, and a case of 500 38'd at chimos is 180 buck, as apposed to 30 bucks for a box of cheap 44's. and the way I figger it, if I can get realy good with shootin 38's and I get real comfortable with the gun, I'll be better off in a bear attack than a guy with a 44 that he can't afford to ever shoot.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

The biggest thing against the gun is the porting.Folks wear ear plugs at the range but seldom hunting. The crack of a 357 is about as loud as any round out there in a handgun and with porting I think it to be worse the a 454. There are so many great used 357's out there for the same money I would look around more.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Just to give an example...I picked up a .44 Tracker for $200 from a guy leaving state- barely used in great shape. It was worth that for a glove box gun. Would I pay what they want for that gun NIB? Not a chance with so many high quality Smiths and Rugers floating around.

If you're looking for a sweet deal on a .357/.38 go looking for a well loved Smith 66 or 686. You won't have to spend that much to find a clean sample. There used to be piles of police trade in revolvers on the market and you could pick up all you wanted for cheap- they're still out there and come up for sale regularly. $250 for a holster worn 686 is a great deal if you're looking for a shooter that the kids will inherit.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I am going to buy my first hand gun, and I'm big on revolvers, (my dad has a few of both)

From what I've heard this is a pretty good gun, does anybody have any real world exerience with it?
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
    I know several guys that own them and I can say that the Tracker is a "good" gun. By that I mean to say that for the casual gun owner the Taurus will serve them well and they are a good value. However, I will never buy another Taurus because I am not a casual gun owner.

Be honest with yourself. If you are not planning to shoot the gun more than a few hundred times in your lifetime then you'll most likely be extremely satisfied with the Taurus. If you are hoping to shoot it several hundred times a year, then you may be very satisfied with it. If you hope to shoot it several hundred times a month then I doubt you'll be satisfied with it. If you fall into the latter group buy a Ruger or a S&W; you'll come out cheaper and much better satisfied in the long run...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.