Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai is choked with Reds

Default Kenai is choked with Reds

Well my buddy called me and the Kenai is choked with reds. I wont tell you how long it took to get 75 fish because its crazy. He said he has never seen anything like it in his 30 yrs in AK. The offshore test net indicator hit 382!! Thats insane! get ready for a great red year!

Everyone in the state will be there now! lol right on. I figured they would be there this weekend! Good fishing.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Place is going to be a zoo. Never seen so many people on the Seward on a Saturday afternoon. Just got back from clamming. Think I'll try and hit these reds on Monday or Tuesday on a suicide run.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I just stopped by the bluff to check on the beach guys, wow they were getting pounded with high wind, waves and a pretty high tide! Lots of fish heads on the beach visible from the bluff, thats a ton!

I haven't seen as many cars on the beach in the 5 years i've been here as I saw tonight. I was driving back from hope Hope today and there were a lot of nets and cars headed back to Anchorage already so perhaps permits are getting filled quickly and the zoo will die down faster?

Ahhhh..........I CAN'T WAIT. Drive safe. Have fun!!!

Just talked to my son. There are 100 less salmon in the Kenai.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I fly out Monday morning and will be in AK by 11. I hope to have fresh red for supper Monday night!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

limon32

The zoo will be a reality for at least 2 weeks ,Try to make the best of it....It will go away.......

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I fly out Monday morning and will be in AK by 11. I hope to have fresh red for supper Monday night!
    Good luck and have a good flight Kevin. Save me one or two.

- Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    limon32

The zoo will be a reality for at least 2 weeks ,Try to make the best of it....It will go away.......
    Actually it doesn't bother me, its quite entertaining and I walk the dogs down there and meet intersting folks and people watch. Just noting there are way more this first weekend than I'm used to seeing, seems they time it just right!

It does bother me when they try to kill me on the way here, from Hope cutoff to Kenai today I had a few people pass me in double yellow corners and 1 person try to pass the person that was already passing me! Oddly I drive about 5 over just to make other people happy, perhaps Valley folk play by different rules or ignore them altogether!

Save some for me. I fly in Wednesday (20th). Should be after them early on the 21st. Last year was the first year I caught any reds. Now they are my favorite to smoke and also to place on the grill. HURRY UP WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine said her party got over 150 fish yesterday and that she also saw hundreds more caught as well.

We are flying into AK tomorrow for my son's Make-A-Wish trip. We have a guided float trip planned on the Upper Kenia on the 24th. Will we catch trout or is it just Reds this time of year? I don't really care, either would be a lot of fun, but I really would like to hook into a monster Bow.

So how many days until bings?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonda View Post
    We are flying into AK tomorrow for my son's Make-A-Wish trip. We have a guided float trip planned on the Upper Kenia on the 24th. Will we catch trout or is it just Reds this time of year? I don't really care, either would be a lot of fun, but I really would like to hook into a monster Bow.
    That far up the river right now, 'bows are probably your best bet. The reds coming in right now haven't had time to get that far up the river. That isn't to say you won't get any salmon, they just won't be there in huge numbers. Rainbows and dolly varden (which can also get quite large on the Kenai) will probably keep you busy.

Hope your trip goes awesome!!

That sounds perfect Coho Slayer! We have a combo charter out of Seward Wednesday, so I am really hoping to catch trout on the Kenai! Never seen a Dolly Varden so it would be cool to catch one of those. We don't have them here in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    It does bother me when they try to kill me on the way here, from Hope cutoff to Kenai today I had a few people pass me in double yellow corners and 1 person try to pass the person that was already passing me! Oddly I drive about 5 over just to make other people happy, perhaps Valley folk play by different rules or ignore them altogether!
    Heck, Valley people don't pay any attention to ANY laws. Must be something in the drinking water.

It took 50 minutes to dip 105 fish!!! The reds are in the Kenai...so I heard..."fishon"

UOTE=kgpcr;975557]Well my buddy called me and the Kenai is choked with reds. I wont tell you how long it took to get 75 fish because its crazy. He said he has never seen anything like it in his 30 yrs in AK. The offshore test net indicator hit 382!! Thats insane! get ready for a great red year![/QUOTE]

According to AOJ, 50,000 fish passed today between midnight last night and 7 this morning. That's just 7 hours. That's a huge amount of fish. Sport anglers should knock them dead for the next few days on the lower river....get out and FISH!!

By 11AM, the count was up to 80,000 reds in pass the counter.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast