Thread: CFI with tailwheel

Default CFI with tailwheel

I am looking for a CFI who has a C180 or other taildragger to do some refresher training. It has been 16 months since I have piloted a plane, so I need to dust off the cob webs. I don't own a plane yet, and finding someone with tailwheel plane has been difficult. Since I am a big guy (6'2" and 250 lbs) I don't think a Citabria or other small plane would work well. I would prefer Birchwood or Merrill, but can travel a bit. The C180 would be nice because I could get endorsements for high performance and controllable prop at the same time.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Patrick

I am about 5'9" and 220 and my instructor is like 6'2" and 200 and we fly in the citabria just fine. I think its more to do with your gerth. I did my check ride in a 152 and my FAA examinar is 200 lbs and im 220 lbs.

I used to be 245 and am on my way down in weight so flying is easier for me, not much you can do about the height though.

I used to fly a rental Citabria and I'm 6'6", but skinny. I fit in the Citabria just fine. It was a '76 model with a pilot seat that slides back. The older models have a fixed seat and I don't fit in those so well, at least not the front seat...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Take Flight at Merrill has a citabria they do tail wheel in and an excellent tail wheel instructor by what I hear. There is also an ad on Craigslist for a guy at Birchwood that does dual in a 180. Search Cessna in all for sale and you should find the ad. If not post back and I'll see if I can locate it.

The instructor is Mark at Take Flight(Old name no bhght out) for the Citabria. I flew twice in it. Mark is nice laid back person afaict. Flying that plane was like herding snakes down the runway.

Yeah if you can get it down you'll be good Ha!

rr

There is a flight instructor on Birchwood that has a TW that he instructs in. I'm trying to find out his name and will post if I do. Otherwise, just go to Land and Sea on PAMR (they broke from the old Take Flight which became Lake and Penn Air) and are apparently back in the Hanger.net hanger as of last Friday. They have the Citabria referred to elsewhere in this thread. It's a good bird. I learned tailwheel in it and remember that when you did a wheel landing there was about a 2 second period when the tail dropped that you had best be paying attention during that period. The rest of the time it was pretty docile. I was 6'4" 260 when I has learning in it. I think the # ends in 69X. Shame you don't have your own tailwheel bird as I could directly refer you to a good instructor that I use.