Thread: Deep Creek or Anchor Offshore?

Default Deep Creek or Anchor Offshore?

Going to take the zodiak out halibut fishing. Went a few weeks ago and only caught 1 baby halibut (out of Anchor Point). We didnn't really have a clue where to go out there, so we just drifted a few miles out.
    Someone suggested going out of Deep Creek, but I have no clue if that is good advice or not.
    Not picky on size of halibut, especially being in a 13' raft. Halibut fishing is more exciting in
    a little boat.
    Any suggestions on where to go? We've got a GPS so coordinates are doable

If you don't get any GPS points i'd suggest trolling for them until you find some and then drift around. Take a standard salmon flasher, herring and a Deep six and start heading out to sea...

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    Going to take the zodiak out halibut fishing. Went a few weeks ago and only caught 1 baby halibut (out of Anchor Point). We didnn't really have a clue where to go out there, so we just drifted a few miles out.
    Someone suggested going out of Deep Creek, but I have no clue if that is good advice or not.
    Not picky on size of halibut, especially being in a 13' raft. Halibut fishing is more exciting in
    a little boat.
    Any suggestions on where to go? We've got a GPS so coordinates are doable
    I actually mark very few spots with a GPS so bear with me. At Anchor Pt. there is a tower that is visiable to all and easy to see, if you go out perpendicular from there (3-5) miles you will catch fish on most days. And most of the time you will catch lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I actually mark very few spots with a GPS so bear with me. At Anchor Pt. there is a tower that is visiable to all and easy to see, if you go out perpendicular from there (3-5) miles you will catch fish on most days. And most of the time you will catch lots of them.
    The same can be said for doing the same with the big house on the cliff with the red roof. 3 - 5 miles out is usually good fishing.

Best advice I can give is to ANCHOR UP! Your catch rate will improve greatly. The spots in the previous posts are right on. Look for some depth variations and drop the hook...the big one first.

As mentioned, go out 2-5 miles and then start looking for ANY rise or drop in the mud or sand. Any rise or drop over ten feet has served us well. Drop the anchor and use a chum bag. Wait for the fish to arrive and have fun.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly