Thread: Standard Freebore

Default Standard Freebore

Is there a standard acceptable freebore? I'm working on my Custom 405 again and am looking for an acceptable freebore for calculating C.O.L for different bullet types.

Ignore now hehe I got it

Default Freebore

There is a standard "freebore" for a given caliber but not a dimension that can apply to all calibers. The latest caliber that I designed has a freebore dimension of .200" this is for a 416 caliber and is determined by the reamer dimensions. For your 405 super this would be about right for 300 grain round nose bullets for spitzers you might want a little less. Fit it to your bullet, if you are making your own caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    Is there a standard acceptable freebore? I'm working on my Custom 405 again and am looking for an acceptable freebore for calculating C.O.L for different bullet types.
    Whatever the dimensions of a standard 405 chamber has, I guess.

Maybe you could pick the bullet with the longest ogive, seat it to where it will feed, and have your gunsmith set the throat to match. I think you would want to make sure factory loads will work.

I seated a selected bullet in a fired 7mm RM case to where I wanted it, made sure it would feed through the magazine, and my gunsmith lengthened the throat to fit that dummy cartridge. Factory loads are shorter and work fine, but my handloads could be unsafe in another rifle, as they are usually seated much longer, than could be accommodated by a rifle with an unmodified/extended throat.

Thatís what I did, it doesnít mean I knew what I was doin.
    Smitty of the North