Thread: What is the perfect rifle/caliber for Kodiaks and why?

Default What is the perfect rifle/caliber for Kodiaks and why?

Is it a Pump 06
    or maybe a lever 45-70
    how about a 458WM bolt
    What would be the perfect Kodiak gun for you?
    I forgot the handgun also included
    Thanks
    Ed

Please Ed, I beg you, just do a search on this topic, no need to continue yet another of these "What is the best (or perfect) rifle/caliber for such-and-such animal."

Man, you're even asking about handguns too, who'd a thunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Please Ed, I beg you, just do a search on this topic, no need to continue yet another of these "What is the best (or perfect) rifle/caliber for such-and-such animal."

It's too late Mark! It's out there already. And those who get a tickle from bantering about such things AD NAUSEUM are gonna run with it! It's like Groundhog Day (all over again). But, like being in an elevator with a loosed fart; all we can do now is ride it out!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

a M1 Garand would be prime. My dad has one and there isn't anything me and my bother have found that could break it. doesnt rust to much eather.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Amen, amen, and amen.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

There is no such "PERFECT" rifle or cartridge as they all are a compromise of a lot of factors. Same with pistols. I have my idea of what is the right compromise but I'd be lucky if 10% of the people on this forum would agree.

I would use a Finnish M-39 Mosin Nagant with 7.62X54R Czeck FMJ's, my hand gun, a .22 RugerMKII.

Yes I would.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

This thread with 20 posts, contains some some excellent posts by Murphy and Jack Morgan, who used to post on AOD, and others too, some making good arguments for larger calibers, but all-in-all no one's, as one commented, trying to reinvent the wheel:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/22340-perfect-Brown-bear-caliber-gun

I would use a 500NE down loaded to 270win
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Simple.
    The best rifle or handgun you can hit what your shooting.

Talking

dumb question....but it does bring up the all important question???? Are blonds or redheads better in bed?

"Three six bits"........why....cause Bill Pinnell said so!..

If you really needed to know, I would ask Joe Want, he's seen more Kodiaks killed than anyone on this forum!

Any recommendations for a good air rifle for Kodiak? I think then we could have all the bases covered...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    dumb question.... Are blonds or redheads better in bed?
    You're right. That was a dumb question.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Any recommendations for a good air rifle for Kodiak? I think then we could have all the bases covered...
    Air rifle? Pshaw! Nothing beats a Daisy Red Ryder sir! 650 rounds of 4.5mm Daisy custom projectiles heading down range at 350 fps as fast as you can cock it and pull the trigger.... Every Kodiak bear should be cowering in fear!
    #Resist

You guys must have made him feel bad. Now he has moved the question to the Accurate Reloading forum.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    You guys must have made him feel bad. Now he has moved the question to the Accurate Reloading forum.
    Yes, but on that site it's a poll! Why couldn't we have had a poll? We never get polls on this site. If we could have voted in a poll about what gun is best for Kodaik bears, that might have been something new and interesting that folks could have gotten excited about, don't you think so? I think we should start a poll.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Air rifle? Pshaw! Nothing beats a Daisy Red Ryder sir! 650 rounds of 4.5mm Daisy custom projectiles heading down range at 350 fps as fast as you can cock it and pull the trigger.... Every Kodiak bear should be cowering in fear!
    NOoo, you need a beeman silver bear 17 caliber throwing a 9 Gr hand forged soft cast bullet at 500 ft/sec with 7 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. SERIUS KNOCKDOWN let me tell ya, that bad boy will knock a chickadee off its feet at 20 yards. I got to do some terminal ballistic testing when dad told me to go shoot all the birds outta one of our fields (eating our berries, and thats most of our income) with a 4 power scope, yes sir that single shot with a 20 inch barrel really knocks them robins down flat after 3 or 4 chest shots. I would defiantly recommend it for a bear protection gun. the bear oughta die laughing before it gets to you

Super accurate too, I can hit a inch circle at 10 feet!

Then we get into shot guns. them .22 shot guns with 1 1/8 inch shot shells with 1/6'th ounce of No. 12 shot really knocks em dead commin outta 15 inch barrel. WOWeee them birds never saw it commin, prolly cause it never to to them....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I would use a Finnish M-39 Mosin Nagant with 7.62X54R Czeck FMJ's, my hand gun, a .22 RugerMKII.

Yes I would.
    Funny you say that since I did take a Ruger MKII to Kodiak on a brown bear hunt and actually used it defending camp.