Thread: how big a boat for resurrection bay

Default how big a boat for resurrection bay

How big a boat do I need to have for fishing resurrection bay out of Seward? my boat is a 20 foot fish-rite, similar to the hewescraft 'open fisherman'. The boat sits high in the water but the bow is not enclosed. I was hoping to take my nephew out for silvers but I don't want to venture too far from the bay. Any thoughts? I know pony cove, agnes cove are producing well. Can I get out that far with my 20' fish-rite? are there places to go to shore if things get too rough on the way back in to Seward?

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    How big a boat do I need to have for fishing resurrection bay out of Seward? my boat is a 20 foot fish-rite, similar to the hewescraft 'open fisherman'. The boat sits high in the water but the bow is not enclosed. I was hoping to take my nephew out for silvers but I don't want to venture too far from the bay. Any thoughts? I know pony cove, agnes cove are producing well. Can I get out that far with my 20' fish-rite? are there places to go to shore if things get too rough on the way back in to Seward?
    Going to shore probably isn't going to happen, nor is it really much of an option, but I think you'll be fine in your 20 footer going any place you want to in the bay with a decent forecast. I've seen way smaller out at Pony and Agnes Cove. I guess they just hide out in the narrows until things get better. But, I really don't think you'll have any problem at all in your boat on most forecasts you will see this time of year. As always, watch the weather and be careful.

You can go out that far with no problems. I've seen 12' open skiffs out there. With Res. Bay, and most any salt water, it's knowing when NOT to go, or when to get out of dodge and head back to the harbor, that matters.

If you have "nice water", Agnes is doable. But it can whip up on you. You might want to try Callisto Head. It is half the distance, more protected, and there were plenty of silvers there wed. when I was there.

As mentioned, just watch the weather. You see all kinds of boast out that far. In a week or two you'll be able to fish fox with good results so you won't need to go to far. just be safe and enjoy.
    Tony

I agree with the others, your 20' boat is plenty to fish all the way out to Pony Cove. You really don't need to go that far though, go fish Hive Island and Fox Island, you'll see other boats where the fish are. There really isn't many places to beach a boat in bad weather there but your way better off sitting on anchor in a cover anyway. If you beach your boat in bad weather your going to get a banged up bottom and a swamped boat.

I wouldn't go out there without a marine radio or two (one fixed, one portable is what I carry). Also take a bit of time to study the charts for that area, learn where humpy cove, thumb cove, the back of agnes, dont recall the name. These are all good placed to hide from the weather.

The back of Agnes is Three Hole Bay - a very good anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    The back of Agnes is Three Hole Bay - a very good anchorage.
    If you're fishing in Pony, to get to 3 hole, you have to go around Cape Aialak. If the weather is bad enough that you have to hole up in a cove and you're in Pony, cut back through the Cheval Narrows and get in to Agnes proper. Agnes cove cuts back to the left (twice) and provides great shelter. The area just off of Cape Aialak can get real rough. In rolling swells when coming back from Nuka or Granite, I stay wide of the cape (basically make a straight shot to Caines Head) just to avoid that washer machine action.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Cizmo_AK49 View Post
    If you're fishing in Pony, to get to 3 hole, you have to go around Cape Aialak. If the weather is bad enough that you have to hole up in a cove and you're in Pony, cut back through the Cheval Narrows and get in to Agnes proper. Agnes cove cuts back to the left (twice) and provides great shelter. The area just off of Cape Aialak can get real rough. In rolling swells when coming back from Nuka or Granite, I stay wide of the cape (basically make a straight shot to Caines Head) just to avoid that washer machine action.

Doug
    Totally agree I was talking about way back in Agnes, not the other side of the dirt from ther.

I would NOT take a 20' boat around the cape on anything but the VERY BEST day and then watch the weather VERY closely.

All these posts are good advice, one other "gotcha" is the afternoon and evening on shore winds and waves when getting close to the harbor, coming back in at say from 4 PM on. They can be 4 to 5 footers and real close together. Some folks get up and fish with the "dawn patrol" and come back in early afternoon to aviod a nast ride home.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizmo_AK49 View Post
    The area just off of Cape Aialak can get real rough. Doug
    Ain't that the truth. And it is the worst with an ebbing tide and any wind from the South East, or plain old East. The washing machine is exactly what it can be and you put that very well.

I wasn't recommending he go around the Cape to get to Three Hole, but didn't quite get what he meant by what the back side of Agnes was. As Agnes is Agnes meaning the inner part and outer part don't have separate names at least on a map. At least we got it all figured out.

The only problem with that inner part of Agnes is all the ground tackle folks have dropped off there. Some have floats and some don't......Over the years I have lost an anchor there and "caught" others that were lost by somebody. I am somewhat leary of dropping the hook there I guess because of it as it turns into an expensive pain.

Can you wait a couple weeks? Then you only need to go 10 miles to Fox island or even the head of the bay. i have a 20' Willie and to stay safe (12 years or more ) I would NOT go to Pony cove no matter the forecast.

No need to wait 2 weeks foe silvers at Fox. We got nine there on Saturday in a couple of hours, and even some in by thumb cove. It was hotter out at Agnes, but by no means do you need to go out that far. I would say just have a kicker to have a backup motor in case you have engine problems, but many get by without that.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded