View Poll Results: Yea or nay?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support season-long sanctuary closures

25 75.76%
  • I oppose season-long sanctuary closures.

8 24.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "informed choice"... KAFC sanctuary closures

Default "informed choice"... KAFC sanctuary closures

From the KAFC thread:

4. Keeping the closed waters around the tributaries closed until 31 July
    I thought this could use a little fleshing out on a thread of its own. Whaddaya say?

Let 'er rip boys!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Does the closure include College Hole?? I am assuming it does. What about shore fishing (for red's) in the closed areas?

Default answer - maybe

I do not have the proposal before me but I think it includes college hole and is limited the same way the present regulation reads - only the dates change.

Back in 2002, the ER came in WAY short of expectations. In fact the run was so pi55 poor it wasn't even gonna make the lower end of BEG at the time. The following is a Letter-to-the Editor I submitted regarding the ER sanctuaries.

Why is it now OK to slaughter fish that were protected in June?

Most of these kings are tributary spawners, and they stage in large numbers near the mouth of the Killey River, Slikok Creek and Funny River through all of July.

Ironically, these "sanctuary areas" open to harvest with bait on July 15. Without additional restrictions, the ensuing bloodbath will further diminish the already ailing escapement. By simply extending the existing closures in these sanctuaries out to July 31, hundreds of early run kings will be saved from harvest to spawn.

If it was so important to save these fish in June that the Alaska Department of Fish and Game was willing bring an entire fishery and economy to its knees, why would it allow those very same fish to be slaughtered in July? Was it really worth it?

Call or write Kelly Hepler, Bob Clark, Barry Stratton and Mark Gamblin at Fish and Game for their answer. Come on, guys! Deprived anglers, fishing guides and impoverished local businesses deserve better. So do the fish!

Francis Estalilla, Former Kenai resident , Aberdeen, Wash.
    Circumstances back then were just a wee bit different, but the conservation principle remains exactly the same. Purposely fishing on top of over-ripe staging ER spawners is just plain wrong!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default keep closed.

I agree with you Doc lets keep it closed… Last year my family and i were standing on the bank red fishing later July across the river from Slickok crk or C-hole and watched 2- power boats harass those kings to no end pulling them off there spawning bed one right after another all day long , most all fish hooked were blush to red, and at the end a few got bonked....As for the red fishing we spent alot of money on walk ways to help preserve the habitat let's fishem.

Default "informed choice"... KAFC sanctuary closures

RE early run Kenai River king salmon:

4. Keeping the closed waters around the tributaries closed until 31 July

POLL QUESTION: Do you feel this is a good idea to help conserve ER kings?
    The KeenEye MD

Post that's a no brainer

What good does it do to implement a slot limit to protect the rivers big kings and genetic diversity if you are going to allow the same fish that were protected in may and june to be harvested while staging up to make their final run home? These kings are very easy to catch once they have reached this point and many "no pride guides" and private anglers are all too happy to harrass these fire engines and try to find a keeper. By all means shut it down!!

Thanks for merging the two threads, Dave!

Man that sure was fast!
    The KeenEye MD

Default good subject

i totally agree with you guys! i'm a 10 year kenai guide and am as guilty as most when it comes to harassing college hole kings... or at least i was in the past. i was a real young guy when i began guiding and didn't fully understand the scenario; all i knew is that on june 15th i could bet the bank on catching at least a couple nice kings in front of slikok creek, and that's exactly what i did. as i grew older i began to better understand what was going on there. i haven't fished the hole for the last few years because now i get it, but many of the guides that fish this hole are plenty mature enough to understand exactly what they're doing - no excuses. it's shameless; and that's being nice. i would be more than happy to see college hole, along with funny river, be closed to king fishing for the entire year. a small sacrafice for the greater good - that's what it's all about. thanks for bringing it up fellas
    Mark w.

TTT

Are there really only 13 guys on this board with an opinion on this issue?

The "barbless" poll has only been up one day and 15 votes have already been cast.

C'mon folks, I set up the poll to be confidential... nobody's gonna "out" you based on a vote.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Sorry

Sorry but I just don't fish over that way. Too crowded, too many regulations and too far to bring back enough fish for the freezer to make it worth the while. I need about 25-30 fish to make it through the winter months.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Are there really only 13 guys on this board with an opinion on this issue?
    Maybe no one's interested? I'm not. The Kenai, to my way of looking at "fishing" is little more than a gong-show. Could it be more folks than just me are equally disinterested?

Who knows. . . . ?

Marcus,
    If your not interested then why did you pipe in? I would think closing the sanctuaries for the entire season would appeal to someone who dislikes fishing in the Kenai. Does it not restrict opportunity? Anyway, I am in favor of it and I think most people would agree.
    Last edited by fishguy; 03-17-2007 at 15:27. Reason: Spelling

Wink Piping in. . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    Marcus,
    If your not interested then why did you pipe in?
    Hi fishguy. . . if you'll look above my post, you'll see where fNp asks a question: "Are there really only 13 guys on this board with an opinion on this issue?"

I "piped in" to try to answer the question. . . Do you imagine I'm the only person who perceives the Kenai as a dog-and-pony show? Many Alaskans do too, and I have seen that opinion also expressed on a Canadian Internet fishing forum as well as on another American fishing forum. Have you any idea how many folks have given up fishing the Kenai in disgust?

Sorry, but that's the case. . .

Last edited by Marcus; 03-17-2007 at 16:19.

Default Kenai kings. . .

Could this be the problem?

Last edited by Marcus; 03-27-2007 at 14:47.

Nice picture Marcus, too bad none of those fish were caught anywhere close to a sanctuary.

Also, nice job with the copyright infringement.

Maybe if you actually got on the water and fished kings you would know that many of our fish come into the river blushed up and even red.

Question Just asking . . .

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Nice picture Marcus, too bad none of those fish were caught anywhere close to a sanctuary.

Also, nice job with the copyright infringement.

Maybe if you actually got on the water and fished kings you would know that many of our fish come into the river blushed up and even red.
    Have no idea where the fish were caught. . . the photo came in today's e-mail from an acquaintance. Just asking. . .

Becareful posting pictures that belong to others, legally.

Default Boy oh Boy

I sure don't fish the Kenai, did in the 70's. But if they don't do something that great fishery will come close to turning it's self off. Like there is a reason to go 50mph with a 100hp motor. I say drift boat only.
    Or over fish it till the return don't return and then ***** about that. Want a fun King get one on 300 feet down fresh in the ocean, not after it's gotten that layer of brown snot just under the skin, yummy!

No word from the opponents?

Why do those that oppose the restriction feel the way they do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast