Thread: Average Game Hunted

Default Average Game Hunted

I'll be moving up to Alaska in the next few months and can't wait to hunt. That said, I don't what is most commonly hunted in AK. I've heard about hunting everything from Elk to Carribou to Deer. I'll be near Fairbanks mostly. Also, besides personal preference (name brand, feel, looks, etc) what caliber would be the best all around rifle to use?

If this is already asked somewhere by all means just say so and I'll dig further.

Thanks for the help!

-Peyton

First time this subject has very come up on this forum.............

"Average" game in large part depends on the area of the state you're hunting. For a Fairbanks-area hunter, the primary options within 200 miles will be moose, caribou, black bear, grizzly bear, and dall sheep. Deer and elk are primarily only found on the islands of Southeast Alaska and the Kodiak Archipelago (deer are also in Prince William Sound, but no elk). Other Alaskan targets such as musk ox, bison, and goats will either require traveling quite a distance (goats and ox) or winning a extremely low-odds drawing permit (bison and some ox and goat hunts).

As for the one rifle question, there are threads on here will pages and pages of opinions. For one rifle, though, you really can't go wrong with a 30-06 or a 300 WM. Good luck with the move!

Congratulations on your impending move. The most accessible species in the Interior are moose and black bears whle you get your bearings about what lives where. Caribou are accessible on the Haul Rd and if you''re a bow hunter that's a great place to go. Don't ignore small game until you get resident status- hares and grouse are both fun to hunt and plentiful.

You don't mention what you currently shoot but an '06 and 300WM are both very common in the Interior- if you have a favorite 7mag or 270 there's no reason not to bring it along and save your money for cub time, rain gear and good binos.

Default thanks

thanks for the input!

Get a 30-06, bring a strong back and a LOAD of cash. We have about anything you want or can afford to hunt within driving distance, and driving distance here is anywhere the road goes.

Have fun.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This may be of help, or confusion, a representation of what are most commonly popular by those who visit this site and participated in the poll; http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber

30-06 or 338wm both will do it all.There are many do it all calibers but damm few all around hunters
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I live near Fairbanks, when you get here we can have lunch and I would be willing to answer some of your questions and show you some different rifles and gear. Help with the regs and recommend some draw hunt options. I have hunted most of the game here, except Bison and Musk Ox.

Hunting here is much different than the lower 48 and both the rules and logistics can be complicated. Great people on this forum, ask questions and start researching NOW.

Decide which animal you most want and start there. Remote hunts require, that you know a little about many things.

Around Fairbanks mostly Moose, Caribou and bears.

Founding Member

Kodiak is beautiful and has Bears, Goats, Deer and a few other critters

Founding Member

Then we have Sheep, which is the game version of CRACK!!!!

Even have a few Elk to be had.

Pull up a chair and welcome to our campfire.

Steve
    Founding Member

Sometimes I think Steve is just a show off!!

Pecj2001 I'm sure Steve's pics got your blood pumping. What you see is an example of dedication, planning, hard work, proper equipment selection and possibly some dam good luck.....the list could go on n on....(nice camera and too much time off work come to mind)

But in all seriousness... read, plan, read, plan then enjoy!

Fairbanks is a nice town. I'm sure you'll love it here!

-akiceman25

Come on Stid!! You can't post the "SAME" photos in EVERY Thread! And a farm Elk? Huh?

I really do enjoy your pics and you "DO" have life by the Nuts! But, the SAME photos? Just sayin'....

Here's my favorite animal to pursue.....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Come on Stid!! You can't post the "SAME" photos in EVERY Thread! And a farm Elk? Huh?

I really do enjoy your pics and you "DO" have life by the Nuts! But, the SAME photos? Just sayin'....

Here's my favorite animal to pursue.....

Gotta like that big boy! Beautiful wolf!

Let's see some of yours Mike! I'm a rookie at Wolf hunting compared to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Let's see some of yours Mike! I'm a rookie at Wolf hunting compared to you.
    I haven't spent the time to figure out how to post pictures. I have a "few" of them! And yes, we may be doing the wolf thing in different ways, but it sure if fun hooking on to them!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Then we have Sheep, which is the game version of CRACK!!!!

That's a mild way to put it... I don't even need to buy a truck but I'm strangely drawn to RAMS.
    Last edited by stid2677; 07-17-2011 at 12:25.

Wow those are some great pictures with your game, guys!

Fairbanks is moose and black bear country. Be sure you understand the regulations; zone 20 is pretty complicated. I read the regs down to the letter, then traced the sub-unit boundaries onto a topo map and then made notes about the specific regulations in all those little special management areas (ie. Minto Flats, etc).

I use a 30.06, some people say that's not enough firepower but I've never had any trouble with it... shells are cheaper too

.300 wm is my choice but to each his own i guess.
    Steve is right though if your willing to invest a little dough you can have an awsom hunt their are some spots I saw in fairbanks area that have access but I would suggest reading the regs very carefully and searching old threads and you will get a bunch of info I have a bunch of hunts ready when I get back and most of the info I used was from awsome people on this forum.
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

[QUOTE=hodgeman;975431] Don't ignore small game until you get resident status- hares and grouse are both fun to hunt and plentiful.

QUOTE]

Bring a shotgun...you'll be smack dab in the middle of some of the best upland hunting there is!