Thread: Seward Bank fishing

Default Seward Bank fishing

I was thinking about a trip to Seward and hitting some of the streams or mouths of the streams for silvers, in July August. Is there many places to do this, I have never been there. I do want to do a halibut combo trip also.

Thanks for any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttofish View Post
    I was thinking about a trip to Seward and hitting some of the streams or mouths of the streams for silvers, in July August. Is there many places to do this, I have never been there. I do want to do a halibut combo trip also.

Thanks for any advice
    To be honest, bank fishing in Seward is pretty tough and normally slow. Now, when and if the silver hit the beach in late August and through September, it can be very good, but right now it is pretty dead. It is also pretty good snagging at the mouth of the river when the reds are running, and I have caught a ton of fish over there, but that run is done.

There is no doubt that someone will say they have caught fish by the waterfall at the Sea Life Center, from the various creeks flowing into the bay, and other places. But, just don't expect great action from that. I've fished them many times and caught some stuff, but it was pretty darn slow. I'm not saying not to bother even trying, but just don't take it very seriously as you will likely be disappointed if you do.

Now for your combo trip, that is going to be a blast. I hope the great weather we have been having holds for you.

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind

Another tip about Seward: when the fish are not running thick, take off the snagging hook. Get something flashy and make the fish come to you, and get them in the mouth for a good hookset. On a bad day snagging you may kill more fish than you catch, and silvers are obliging biters. There should be some decently fresh chums running around too.

Thanks I have never done the snagging, I have found that I got more on the end of my line by throwing spinners when fishing close to the other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttofish View Post
    Thanks I have never done the snagging, I have found that I got more on the end of my line by throwing spinners when fishing close to the other guys.
    Just depends where you are fishing, sometimes snagging is the key to bringing in fish..

Saw salmon jumping at Miller's landing and hooked two and landed one Silver Salmon at Tonsina Creek in my yak so they are closer than normal. But I wouldn't think it's worth going to target those fish from the beach yet. I didn't see anyone fishing at the waterfalls this saturday and if there are any fish to be had from the bank, there are usually a few folks there.