Thread: Which Alaskan Guide model tent?

Default Which Alaskan Guide model tent?

Good day.

I've been researching on this site for weeks, but I believe this is my first post. Lots of great information on this site. Appreciate all I have gleaned from your posts.

I'll be making my first ever trip to Alaska in 2012 to bowhunt caribou. There will be two of us and are figuring on an eight day drop camp. The Alaskan Guide model tent seems to be very popular here.....so the plan is to pick one up over the winter.

Two questions:

1. Is the 4 man tent w/vestibule plenty for a party of two....or would the six man be a better choice for an extended stay on the tundra?

2. I've read posts claiming the aluminum poles are the way to go for durability....and I've seen posts saying fiberglass will hold up better in strong winds. Since I'll be buying new....I have both options available. Which is the better setup?

Appreciate it guys. Feel like I've come a long ways over the past couple months of making this trip a reality!

I have been after one of these tents for over 3 years now!
    I really didnt want to spend the $$$ on a brand new one so I have been looking for a used 6 man on craigslist. With no luck! Well not for under new prices.
    Last week I found myself in the Boise Cabelas store, I of course was browsing the "Bargin Cave". They had a 6 man tent used but in like new condition for $230! I was en-thrilled! Picked it up and set it up in the store to make sure everything was there. i had the pleasure of staying in one of these tents a few years back. Two guys can really stretch out well in the 6 man tent. I actually can fit 3 guys in there without being to cramped in my opinion. I have no experience with the Aluminum poles. Glass hopefully will be fine for me. These tents are tough! Heavy, but tough.

Cabelas guide tents are great for base camps or in areas weight is not an issue. The first thing I do whenever I get a new guide model is replace the stakes with light weight aluminum ones. The four man tent is great for just 2 people and gear. If you want to stand up then get the 6 man.

For an eight day camp I'd go with the 6 man since weight is not a factor. Expect to be weathered in a bit- the extra room is nice in that case. I'd go with aluminum poles- easier to rig a repair in the field should it be required. We had one of the aluminum poles fold up in Chitina a couple years ago in strong wind- patched it up with some duct tape and a stout limb sized to fit internally.

I've camped a bit in all the AK Guide model tents and my only gripe is how heavy they are. I spent a long weekend last year in an eight man with my young son and a friend. What a palace for so few folks.

I guess it depend on how you are used to living cause I'd say the 4 man is overkill for 2 people. If you are flying out you are paying for weight. Look at the differences in weight online.
    Anyway, if you just have to stand up, get the 6 man. The 4 man is a plenty. (About triple the space of the 2 man I usually hunt out of)
    Also, fiberglass poles are heavier than aluminum I believe.
    The stakes that come with it suck as already stated. Get the vestebule for sure.
    Great tents all in all.

My .02

I have used both a lot,,,, while the 4 man is plenty large enough for 2 guys and gear, but you can't stand up in it. I like and own a 6 man and it is great for 2 guys and gear and very nice to stand to get dressed. I would fork up and buy the Aluminum poles,, lighter and take way more abuse. The aluminum pole will bend, but not exploded like the fiberglass ones and are much easier to fix in the field, although I never have had one fail.

The only thing I would change is the stakes that come with them,, the steel pegs are really heavy. Changed mine out with dura pegs, the tough plastic ones.

Have a great hunt.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I haven't been in a 4 man but owned an 8 man with fiberglass poles for about 20 years and picked up a 6 man in 2006 with aluminum poles. The 8 man was handed down from My Dad and thru heavy use and some bad winds the fiberglass eventually needed attention, the fiberglass sleeves were tuff to repair. My 6 man took a beating up off the haul Road (Our fault, not the tents)and I was able to straighten some of the aluminum poles. There is a shop in Seattle, Rainy Pass Repairs, repair@rainypass.com that will cut to order (Cabelas wont replace them). I had a couple extras shipped to me in case I ever have the tent roll across the snow with just enough gear in it to crush the poles again. Just like the others said, I've had 3 adults in it and its nice to have the extra room if weights not an issue.

I agree with most if not all of the comments. I have owned all three 4,6, and 8 man versions. I currently own a 6 and for me the 6 man is the best all around of the 3.

1. Replace the stakes. These are really good ones http://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake
    2. The 4 man is good but the 6 man is even better. Give you the option of standing up in the tent and has more flexibility for future hunts or camping.
    3. I rode some pretty strong winds out with both types of poles, but the aluminum poles are lighter and weight is always an issue on fly outs.
    4. Don't get the junk they sell for ground cloth, but do bring a tarp to lay down as a ground cloth. If you ever get in some serious water, you will be glad you did.
    5. Guide Model 6 man aluminum pole resume' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM

Louis :-)

Has anyone here tried or seen one of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat105590880
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    I agree with most if not all of the comments. I have owned all three 4,6, and 8 man versions. I currently own a 6 and for me the 6 man is the best all around of the 3.

1. Replace the stakes. These are really good ones http://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake
    2. The 4 man is good but the 6 man is even better. Give you the option of standing up in the tent and has more flexibility for future hunts or camping.
    3. I rode some pretty strong winds out with both types of poles, but the aluminum poles are lighter and weight is always an issue on fly outs.
    4. Don't get the junk they sell for ground cloth, but do bring a tarp to lay down as a ground cloth. If you ever get in some serious water, you will be glad you did.
    5. Guide Model 6 man aluminum pole resume' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PylrnSDprIM

Louis I think you've said it all right here. I've got a 6 man and love it, Although on some hunts it may be a little on the big side, when you need the space it's awesome to have.

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post

Yup. Agree. I like the 6-man the most. Just used one on our Kanektok trip and handled the rough wind just fine.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I strongly considered the Alaskan guide model but it was too heavy, so I went with the 6 man XPG tent and that thing kicks ass and only weighs like 20 lbs or so. When I get a 4 wheeler, I'll surely e getting the 6 man ak guide tent.

Wink

Maybe I shouldn't dredge up the past on this subject but there are many threads in the forum archives over the last decade which have indicated that the Cabelas Guide Model Tent is not suitable for Alaska.

"Guide Model tent works great on sunny days when there is no wind!" - ms

Go here and search -- http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum_archives/

Not my words, I know what I use.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Based on feedback, I'm going with the six man and aluminum poles.

I'm still over thirteen months away....but the excitement is already building!