Thread: Scouting/Recon Kenai Caribou Herd

Default Scouting/Recon Kenai Caribou Herd

We have had some wonderful weather for getting geriatric legs in shape. And scouting for caribou in the Kenai Mountains. I met a permit holder yesterday at the head of East Creek who was scouting for caribou. You could even leave a camp up there.
    Now that I know I can dayhike up Summit Creek and Down Colorado Creek, I want to go up Summit into Colorado, then sneak out Fox Creek for just a wee'bit, then hop over into and exit out of Fresno Creek. Now that will be a day hike I can be proud of.

I love that area, I spent many days up there a few decades ago and the best part is that I never saw a single soul. It was a well kept secret back then...

Update from Yesterdays walk'about:

Well I did it, the killer dayhike to "Hell". Up Summit Cr. into East Cr. jump into Colorado Creek, transition over to Fox Creek, have lunch, explore two side valleys in Colorado Creek on the way out. 10 hours & 45 Minutes. Colorado Creek is awful. One Grizzly, and one Black Bear at 10 feet. I was able to call him up close, making crying sounds. I got the grizzly to turn and start coming, but he got skid dish and would not come. Was a good day hike. No Caribou, No Sheep, No Humans.

I really need to get into Fox Creek deeper than I did, it is a narrow valley with steep walls.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Update from Yesterdays walk'about:

Well I did it, the killer dayhike to "Hell". Up Summit Cr. into East Cr. jump into Colorado Creek, transition over to Fox Creek, have lunch, explore two side valleys in Colorado Creek on the way out. 10 hours & 45 Minutes. Colorado Creek is awful. One Grizzly, and one Black Bear at 10 feet. I was able to call him up close, making crying sounds. I got the grizzly to turn and start coming, but he got skid dish and would not come. Was a good day hike. No Caribou, No Sheep, No Humans.

I really need to get into Fox Creek deeper than I did, it is a narrow valley with steep walls.
    Sounds like a great day trip. No moose?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Sounds like a great day trip. No moose?
    No Moose, And No Moose tracks.

Thanks for the report AGL. How was the climb out of Summit and on into Colorado and Fox. Are the ridges accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Thanks for the report AGL. How was the climb out of Summit and on into Colorado and Fox. Are the ridges accessible?
    I had about 60+ pounds of pack most of the day which made the transition from East Creek into Colorado Creek a bit un-nerving. I held altitude coming out of Summit Creek, and chose to side hill across a wide rock slide that was unstable. Next time I'll go to the ridge or just under the ridge for transitioning. The ridges were good (95% of the time). Piece of cake between Colorado and Fox Creek. The upper half of Colorado Creek is just awesome beautiful.

Sounds great. I should be down there next week to put my eyes and feet on it firsthand.

I had about 60+ pounds of pack most of the day which made the transition from East Creek into Colorado Creek a bit un-nerving. I held altitude coming out of Summit Creek, and chose to side hill across a wide rock slide that was unstable. Next time I'll go to the ridge or just under the ridge for transitioning. The ridges were good (95% of the time). Piece of cake between Colorado and Fox Creek. The upper half of Colorado Creek is just awesome beautiful.
    Did you go for a swim in the small lake in Colorado ?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Did you go for a swim in the small lake in Colorado ?
    Which one there are five I have found so far.

Geriatric legs and an over 10 hour hike in which you had a sixty plus pound pack most of the time...now you are one tough hombre!

Got any pics?

Which one there are five I have found so far.
    The one at the head of the valley, below the ridge just after dropping in from East/Summit creeks is what I had pictured, I still remember the beautiful blue color of it when I was there.