Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Scouting/Recon Kenai Caribou Herd

  1. #1

    Default Scouting/Recon Kenai Caribou Herd

    We have had some wonderful weather for getting geriatric legs in shape. And scouting for caribou in the Kenai Mountains. I met a permit holder yesterday at the head of East Creek who was scouting for caribou. You could even leave a camp up there.
    Now that I know I can dayhike up Summit Creek and Down Colorado Creek, I want to go up Summit into Colorado, then sneak out Fox Creek for just a wee'bit, then hop over into and exit out of Fresno Creek. Now that will be a day hike I can be proud of.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I love that area, I spent many days up there a few decades ago and the best part is that I never saw a single soul. It was a well kept secret back then...

  3. #3

    Default

    Update from Yesterdays walk'about:

    Well I did it, the killer dayhike to "Hell". Up Summit Cr. into East Cr. jump into Colorado Creek, transition over to Fox Creek, have lunch, explore two side valleys in Colorado Creek on the way out. 10 hours & 45 Minutes. Colorado Creek is awful. One Grizzly, and one Black Bear at 10 feet. I was able to call him up close, making crying sounds. I got the grizzly to turn and start coming, but he got skid dish and would not come. Was a good day hike. No Caribou, No Sheep, No Humans.

    I really need to get into Fox Creek deeper than I did, it is a narrow valley with steep walls.

  4. #4
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Update from Yesterdays walk'about:

    Well I did it, the killer dayhike to "Hell". Up Summit Cr. into East Cr. jump into Colorado Creek, transition over to Fox Creek, have lunch, explore two side valleys in Colorado Creek on the way out. 10 hours & 45 Minutes. Colorado Creek is awful. One Grizzly, and one Black Bear at 10 feet. I was able to call him up close, making crying sounds. I got the grizzly to turn and start coming, but he got skid dish and would not come. Was a good day hike. No Caribou, No Sheep, No Humans.

    I really need to get into Fox Creek deeper than I did, it is a narrow valley with steep walls.
    Sounds like a great day trip. No moose?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Sounds like a great day trip. No moose?
    No Moose, And No Moose tracks.

  6. #6
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Thanks for the report AGL. How was the climb out of Summit and on into Colorado and Fox. Are the ridges accessible?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Thanks for the report AGL. How was the climb out of Summit and on into Colorado and Fox. Are the ridges accessible?
    I had about 60+ pounds of pack most of the day which made the transition from East Creek into Colorado Creek a bit un-nerving. I held altitude coming out of Summit Creek, and chose to side hill across a wide rock slide that was unstable. Next time I'll go to the ridge or just under the ridge for transitioning. The ridges were good (95% of the time). Piece of cake between Colorado and Fox Creek. The upper half of Colorado Creek is just awesome beautiful.

  8. #8
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Sounds great. I should be down there next week to put my eyes and feet on it firsthand.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I had about 60+ pounds of pack most of the day which made the transition from East Creek into Colorado Creek a bit un-nerving. I held altitude coming out of Summit Creek, and chose to side hill across a wide rock slide that was unstable. Next time I'll go to the ridge or just under the ridge for transitioning. The ridges were good (95% of the time). Piece of cake between Colorado and Fox Creek. The upper half of Colorado Creek is just awesome beautiful.
    Did you go for a swim in the small lake in Colorado ?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Did you go for a swim in the small lake in Colorado ?
    Which one there are five I have found so far.

  11. #11
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Geriatric legs and an over 10 hour hike in which you had a sixty plus pound pack most of the time...now you are one tough hombre!

    Got any pics?

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Which one there are five I have found so far.
    The one at the head of the valley, below the ridge just after dropping in from East/Summit creeks is what I had pictured, I still remember the beautiful blue color of it when I was there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •