Thread: Portrait of a grouse killer!

Default Portrait of a grouse killer!

While out roading my dogs this Great Horned Owl came up off the ground and flew up into a nearby cottonwood. I suspect he'd had his big yellow eyes on a brood of ruffed grouse that frequent the area. Spent an hour or so photographing this gorgeous predator of the highest order. Thougt I'd share a couple of the hundred or so images I created. I really need to photograph a Goshawk, but these grouse eaters have not offered me even one opportunity. Someday, perhaps?

Hope you enjoy them!

Jim

Those are some nice pics, if we all weren't so busy trying to kill grouse ourselves we would have no reason to apply such a negative label to this poor feathered creature. They are great pics though, and I don't care for owls as much as I let on, they are grouse killers after all.

Great Pictures Jim! I saw a really small owl the other night. I was soooooo close to it, but of course no camera. It was pretty dang small. I saw it from a distance on a trail by my house. I was wheeling down the trail, and spotted a bird in a small puddle in the middle of the trail (the trail has very tight over hanging trees, almost not passable). It was late evening, maybe around 10pm. I thought that it was a young grouse at first, but as I got closer, I noticed the coloring and body shape was wrong. I couldn't tell exactly what it was, as it flew into the surrounding brush. I continued down the trail, and as I passed the area I had last saw it, I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye. I stopped looked up, and about 8 feet above (and to the left) of me sat perched a beautiful little owl! Very cool experience! Again great pics!

They may be grouse killers, but they get their comeupance from crows!
    I had a large owl perch on the top of a very spindly spruce last fall. He made the whole tree bow over. And then the crows came and gave him h@ll! They heckled and hassled him for about 1/2 hour, until he took off and then they followed him. Maybe the grouse were cheering the crows from their hiding places.

Those are some great pictures, I love watching owls do their business.