Thread: One Day Float Near Anchorage/Matsu

Default One Day Float Near Anchorage/Matsu

Does anyone know of a decent one day float, class I or II within a couple of hours of the Valley or Anchorage?

The upper or middle Kenai is the most popular option, but a really cool float is the Placer River from the Spencer Glacier back to the Seward Highway. You need to ride the train into the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop and then carry/wheel your gear about 1 1/4 miles to the lake. You can row across the lake to check out the glacier and then float about 10 miles back to the Seward Highway at either bridge. The takeout is close enough to the train station that you could bike shuttle it if need be. I think the Alaska Railroad is giving residents 20% off. Chugach Adventure guides does this float, but they takeout halfway down the river and put the tourists back on the train. Here's my trip report from 2 summers ago:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=Placer+River

Good float if you have small rafts is from Turnagain Pass down to the take out for Six mile. Small fast water, mostly class 1.5 or so,
    shallow fast water so you need to read the river, thats what makes it fun. Do it every year for a warm up. Must take out at the six mile put in or down the canyon, take out is easy to see so won't blow by it. Put in about 1/4 mile past Turnagain pass rest area's, road is
    just at end of guard rail and goes to the west, drive 1/4 mile and carry boats 100yds to water. Lots fun.

Matanuska River put-in at Hicks Creek and take-out at Chickaloon. While this is not dangerous water, it is a large glacial river with some strange flows and currents and should not be done alone the first few times. It will require some confidence and rafting skills.

It can be done as an overnight trip also. There are plenty of sand and gravel bars to camp on and you will find enough drift wood for some nice roaring camp fires. While this trip starts two hours away from Anchorage, it is not a popular float. It simply is not a social trip. You and your companion boat may be the only floaters you see.

dennis

Eagle River. Start at mile 8 or so, where the river gets close to E.R. Road. Take out just above Briggs Bridge on E.R. Loop Rd. Class 1

Or continue on down through Campground Rapids to E.R. Campground. Class 3+

Or go from E.R. Campground through JBER to Bravo Bridge. Class 2+ But everyone in the party must get a free 2 year pass at the old Ft. Rich gate.

Another option is to float the lower Chulitna (MP 151) to either Talkeetna or to the Bridge across the Big Sue 6 miles+- north of the Talkeena turn off (MP?). The pull out at Talkeetna can be tricky due to the braids. Take all the braids to river left then paddle like crazy across the Big Sue. Forget making the actual town but the gravel/sand bar just below town is a mile long and has vehicle access. The other option is to pull out at the Parks bridge on the Big Sue. I believe the Big Sue Lodge also will do shuttle runs for a nominal fee. That way you only need one vehicle and its there when you pull out saving you time.
    -JR

In addition to what others have already stated, the Lower Willow (bridge down) and Portage Creek can be fun, mellow trips close to home. Also, although I've never floated it, I've heard Knik is a good starter trip.Josh