Thread: looking for a place to work/hunt a young dog

Default looking for a place to work/hunt a young dog

New to the Wasilla Area, and fairly new to DH. I have a two and a half year old lab that I have been working with. He is doing ok, but I would like to find a decent area to work him this hunting season where we will get some fairly easy retrieves. Took him out last year in the Kenai area, and pretty much got skunked each time we went out, so it kind of felt like a wasted season.
    I've got a 12 ft Jon boat w/9hp motor, so places that are accessible with a boat that size would work for us also.

Palmer hay flats (Rabbit Slough) or the Jim Creek swamps (Mudd, Gull, Swan, Leaf lakes) are the two roadside boatable spots. There is lots of info on here about those locations. You can also land hunt the hay flats from the Cottonwood Creek side where there is an ATV access route.

Go out on rabbit slough but beware of the tides I know of many boats that have gotten sunk out there and one I belive is still on the bottom. (TAKE YOUR BOAT OUT OF THE SLOUGH).Some people don't but most know what their doing, but some of them still get sunk. Most all the hunting out there is on the lake with some pot holes here and there (you need to portage to hunt the lake with your boat) but running an outboard on the lake could cost you your motor as it very low and lots of vegatation. Watch you cooling intake. I know of a few motors that have been ceased up on that lake as well. Be sure to carry tools, extra gas ect... as it's a long walk out. I understand the water out at mud lake is real low so not sure how that will work for an out board. Not trying to scare you away just letting you know what your in for. Hay most of the fun is getting there right.

Thanks AK Ray and AK Duckman,
    I am really looking forward to this season. I am currently in Afghanistan with the Air National Guard and I get back around the first week in September. I will have about a month off from work when I get back so I will have lots of time to explore. Hopefully I won't end up in one of you "old timers" good spots, if I do tell me to move on and I will.
    Other than Rabbit Slough, what are some of the danger spots I should be careful of? I wouldn't want to have to end my season early due to an injury or loosing my gear. ( I have a GPS, so coordinates of really dangerous spots would really be appreciated if anybody has them)
    Also, if anybody wants a hunting partner, let me know. My normal hunting buddy lives in Kenai still and he probabbly won't be up as often as I am going to be hunting.
    I will be pouring over these forums the next month and a half, can't believe I never found them before.

All spots are first come first serve don't let anyone tell you other wise. However some of us that camp out for a few days will leave our deeks out ( NO I'm really not trying to start this argument up again so please ,I don't want to hear it) while we're there. I don't really care If I find you setting in my deeks but I have two rules you better have enough coffee for me and I call the shots. besides the tide the only really bad spot on the slough is just before the first shack (portage ) there was two pipes that stuck up from the bottom. I know two boat that got hole punched in them in the past so I kinda go real slow from the corner to the shack. I was down there earlier this year and I didn't notice anything but I'm gona guess their still there somewhere. Anyway we'll talk more before killing time get here.

Quote Originally Posted by wbshoeing View Post
    New to the Wasilla Area, and fairly new to DH. I have a two and a half year old lab that I have been working with. He is doing ok, but I would like to find a decent area to work him this hunting season where we will get some fairly easy retrieves. Took him out last year in the Kenai area, and pretty much got skunked each time we went out, so it kind of felt like a wasted season.
    I've got a 12 ft Jon boat w/9hp motor, so places that are accessible with a boat that size would work for us also.
    i am also new to the ak waterfowl scene. i have 1 buddy that i will be duck hunting with occasionaly, if you are looking for a hunting partner shoot me a message, i will be around for the first two months of the season before we head off to afghan

wbshoeing and DH8

As AK Duckman and others have told you...this is a great area to hunt birds..along with Jims Creek area..but you are in a totally different environment from any other of the lower 48..take it from me..DIE HARD waterfowler, 35 years experience as the other guys here and been hunting this area for 6 years...still learn something new every year out there with these guys. I consider myself an ol'timer out there now..and will share information and a blind with you as well if needed to pass on the do's and donts of this place or hunting here in AK.

I just lost my best friend and waterfowl companion, (Lab) so dont mind having any of you along on a hunt.

Most of the waterfowlers out there keep to themselves..and will...Alaska Way..but will lend a helping hand or advice in a heartbeat if needed or ask.

Shoot me a PM closer to season and we can link up. I have everything you would need and more...so all you will have to bring is coffee, guns, shells and alot of motivation....if you have a four legged friend......bring him or her as well.. I trained lab owners for years and will provide stern or soft advice if needed......to help you out, not the dog..lol

Welcome to AK, most everyone on here is all about providing advice.. I was in your shoes when I got up here..great place to hunt, short season and not alot of birds....but everyone up here is serious about what they do when it comes to chasing our feathered friends. they dont like skybusting, setting up to close to their dekes, whinny dogs, or cocky attitudes.....the marsh is a place to allow us to clear our heads and shoot some lead (Steel). (20 years ago it sounded good)

I look forward to helping you out...if needed.

If you go with me..you better know who Jack Miner is...lol

See you in the marsh
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    wbshoeing and DH8

As AK Duckman and others have told you...this is a great area to hunt birds..along with Jims Creek area..but you are in a totally different environment from any other of the lower 48..take it from me..DIE HARD waterfowler, 35 years experience as the other guys here and been hunting this area for 6 years...still learn something new every year out there with these guys. I consider myself an ol'timer out there now..and will share information and a blind with you as well if needed to pass on the do's and donts of this place or hunting here in AK.

I just lost my best friend and waterfowl companion, (Lab) so dont mind having any of you along on a hunt.

Most of the waterfowlers out there keep to themselves..and will...Alaska Way..but will lend a helping hand or advice in a heartbeat if needed or ask.

Shoot me a PM closer to season and we can link up. I have everything you would need and more...so all you will have to bring is coffee, guns, shells and alot of motivation....if you have a four legged friend......bring him or her as well.. I trained lab owners for years and will provide stern or soft advice if needed......to help you out, not the dog..lol

Welcome to AK, most everyone on here is all about providing advice.. I was in your shoes when I got up here..great place to hunt, short season and not alot of birds....but everyone up here is serious about what they do when it comes to chasing our feathered friends. they dont like skybusting, setting up to close to their dekes, whinny dogs, or cocky attitudes.....the marsh is a place to allow us to clear our heads and shoot some lead (Steel). (20 years ago it sounded good)

I look forward to helping you out...if needed.

If you go with me..you better know who Jack Miner is...lol

See you in the marsh
    DH
    i really appreciate all of your advice, i definitley look forward to meeting you guys. and i believe my buddy griffin duck hunts in the same area as you dh01 so hopefully i will get to see you out there once in a while when he lets me tag along with him. i have a dogthat could tag along with us if we hunt together sometime, not the highest trained dog around but she does pretty good. i am super excited for duck season to come around, ill be out hunting everyday im not working. dh01 i would send you a pm closer to duck season but unfortunatly i will be gone all of august working. kind of sucks im going to be gone because i have to hustle and get all of my stuff ready now lol. once again thanks for all the friendly advice you have givin me.

JRTC??? That S***Ks...

Yeah looking forwar to linking up with Griff as well. we talked last year...but never hunted together. I will be able to accomodate two max on my boat if needed...to easy.

I can here Bob now..."Watch out!...dont want to overload her again"...lol
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

haha I remember that day too! the last thing i expected to see coming around the corner.
    I can not wait for this years adventures down there!!!!

JRTC??? That S***Ks...

I can here Bob now..."Watch out!...dont want to overload her again"...lol
    LMAO. Did you at least fix that hole in your boat.

haha ya that does suck but im sure you know all about that lol. sucks that im missing the best month of fishing, but hey i guess its better than missing the month of september, then id be really mad.

yeah, I did..LMAO...fired up the longtail last night and started getting the decoys organized for the opener...have to reload some shells with nina's Ashes, find an old cork decoy to put her ashes in for hunting and will be good to go. I will spread some across the marsh as I move across to the point on the opener...either going to hunt there or on the main flyway down the middle. Might even go to where I shot that Can to spread the ashes....regardless..it will be a somber morning..but a great day of memories on the marsh.

Working on fixing up the blind as well. Going to look pretty good after I put the new liner on the inside.

yeah, I did..LMAO...fired up the longtail last night and started getting the decoys organized for the opener...have to reload some shells with nina's Ashes, find an old cork decoy to put her ashes in for hunting and will be good to go. I will spread some across the marsh as I move across to the point on the opener...either going to hunt there or on the main flyway down the middle. Might even go to where I shot that Can to spread the ashes....regardless..it will be a somber morning..but a great day of memories on the marsh.

Working on fixing up the blind as well. Going to look pretty good after I put the new liner on the inside.
    You still leaving end of sep? If so, I would like to get it back before you go. I have a buddy that would like to do a little duck killing with me and the pod's to small for two people.
    Also did you happen to get the winch's fixed, because your going to need one. I'm not taking the one off my new wheeler ( Not really new but new to me) Maybe I can fill that tier1 permit now. Bou steak at duck camp. Take care bro.

I hear ya..already mounted it to the duckboat and am in the process of finalizing the blind to make it perfect..lol

Maybp we we can get set up out there over the spread...was hoping to use it for at least two weeks...lol.

Winch...got that covered this year..bought me one.

Fixed the box winch

Pretty busy around here getting things in order for duck season..oh yeah..and the move.

Will call soon brother..thanks