Thread: Kenai/Mat Su Valley

Default Kenai/Mat Su Valley

First off, I want to quickly introduce myself and say thank you. My name is Brian, I live in Arizona but have been to Alaska a few times. This forum seems excellent, and I am glad to now be part of it.

Just over two years ago, my brother was brutally murdered in Anchorage by two thug scumbags. The details are disgustingly horrific. One scumbag has still not even gone to trial! This happened in July 2009 over some pocket change. They jumped my brother at night and took turns slowly beating my brother to death, leaving him to die and bragging about it to friends. I would never wish this death on anyone else except those two scumbags themselves. It has been a painful experience for our entire family, with scars that run deep and have not begun to heal.

My brother lived on and off in Alaska for 20 years, and loved every single minute of it. He brought me to Alaska twice to fish on the Kenai and Ship Creek, gold prospect and work in the canneries. In all those years, I kept telling him that I would come do a hunt with him, but alas, that never came to be. His murder has been hard as I think about his every single day. Last summer, some friends of his from around the country met my wife and I up in Alaska to honor his memory by hitting the opening of Reds on the Russian and leaving a memorial for him. They had all lived in Alaska at one time or another with my brother.

This year, I wanted to come up and honor my brother by spending a little time with his memorial on the Kenai and fish some in the spots he showed me (not really private spots, Russian River and the ferry!). It will be exceptionally tough without him or his friends there, and all I will be able to think about is how he will never meet his two nieces and nephew that are mine. I will be fishing alone (well, not literally with the combat zones around me!) but his memory, and hopefully good luck, will be with me.

On July 26-29, I will be down on the Kenai for Reds and wanted to try something a little new, Silvers in Willow Creek or Little Susitna on July 29-31. Does this sound like a good time to be in those places to fish for these species? It seems the silvers won't enter the Kenai until mid-August, and the reds should still be running in the Russian/Kenai rivers. I want to use this opportunity to rmember what my brother taught me so many years ago about salmon fishing and add to the memories with something new.

Here is my other question: I have fished for kings and reds, using a heavy action Ugly Stick, 30 pound spiderwire and Russian River flies (reds) or vibrax (kings). I have to buy a new rod when I get to Alaska and would like to know what kind of rod to buy. Is a medium or medium/heavy action approrpiate for both reds and silvers since they are larger than first-run reds? Same line? Same flies? What about for silvers?

Sorry, I know this is a lot, especially for a first post, but I could use your help. I will be there in 10 days and have not decided yet on what to buy for rods, reels, line, flies, lures, etc nor firmed up where or how to fish. My DREAM would be a float plane somewhere remote, a float trip down the Kenai or a 1/2 day halibut trip, but I am a state employee in Arizona and let's just say the pay ain't that great! Any ideas for last minute deals with charters? Not looking for free, just something affordable that I can catch fish on. My wife and youngest, 5 month old boy, will be with me but spending most of the time relaxing in the hotel room.

Again, thank you. Brian

****, thats a tough read on the first half of your story.
    Your timing will be fine for silvers in the valley. Medium action on a decent 8' rod with 17 or 20 lb. test OR your 30 lb. spider will work.
    Silvers are often caught on roe, spinners, flies, and spoons. Most anything will work as long as you fish early and late on the sunnier days. Once the sun hits the water the bite tends to slow down.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, enjoy your vacation.
    BK

wow bro... that story is a bit heavy for a fishing forum. try maury povich...

Quote Originally Posted by EMMETT View Post
    ...try maury povich...
    Nice. Did your folks teach you any manners; any compassion for your fellow human being? If I had made a comment like that when I was a kid, my old man would have slapped the snot out of me, and rightfully so.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Noting the post count, i'm guessing he was previously banned? We can only hope for a repeat...

bkmail,

Thanks for the constructive reply. That is the type of information I was looking for. Thank you for being helpful! I will look into that setup and timing a little more now. Will the Ugly Stick in medium be fine? I found the medium heavy to be a little light when fishing Ship Creek last year in the current, but it was ok for the Kenai.

Emmet,

Pretty disappointing response from you. No, my story is not made up. If you want my last name to look up the actual tragedy in Anchorage, you can have it. The story is 100% real. Trying living it for one day. I would trade the story for any day for anything in the world to have my brother back but I cannot. I have to live with what happened, no faking the pain nor the loss of my brother. No need for you to be disrespectful. If you did not want to provide constructive assistance, then maybe you should not have opened your mouth or typed anything. Jumping to inappropriate conclusions is sad. Like I said, I would trade my story for my brother's life anyday. I have never been banned from any forum anywhere. Look me up in some of the Arizona forums and you will see that I am for real. I shared my story so that you knew how important this trip is to me. I am not just some fisherman from somewhere in the lower 48 trying to steal your honeyholes. All I was looking for was equipment setup and timing questions. The forum administrators encourage new people to post a little bit about themselves, so I did. This trip means more than fish in a freezer somewhere. Have a great day and may you never have to endure what my family has endured.

Az,
    Back to the fishing discussion.....
    A medium in an Ugly Stick will work great. Heck a decent trout rod and 10lb test would work, just might lose a few. If you go with a light tackle set-up, try to avoid the crowds, they don't like it when people "play with their food" vs. just hauling 'em in and you will tangle with everyone sooner or later.
    Many of the valley streams are not running nearly as swift or deep as the Kenai, w/the exception of the Big Su. Willow, Deshka, Sunshine, Little Willow, Little Susitna, Sheep, Montana, Jim, Eklutna all could have silvers in them during your time frame. Keep the Q's coming!
    BK

god your just a bad person!
    AZ, feel free to PM me I'd be able to help you out on those silvers around those dates.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ2AK View Post
    I have never been banned from any forum anywhere.
    AZ2AK, my ban comment was meant for EMMETT, not you, thats why I quoted his disgusting post.

Truth be told, my cousin was killed in the MATSU valley by some kids looking to steal TVs for drug money. His name is on the memorial downtown. I never even had the chance to meet him, I was in Washington at the time.

If you give up on the valley and want to fish Kenai let me know.

Just be sure to read the regulations and get the emergency orders, if any, before using bait on the rivers.
    Little Su is bait free until August 6.
    Hope you have a great time. I'm sure your bro will be flippin flies right along side you.

Limon32, Thank you for the clarification. I initially misread your email and replied to both you and emmet but after reading your post again realized it was not meant for me. I am very sorry about your cousin. Sometimes things in this world cannot be explained rationally. My brother and I were pretty close and this trip means a lot to me.Thanks to everyone's helpful feedback. I will follow up with some of you over the next few days so I can be prepared. Thanks again to all of you!