Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Phone users look here!

Talking Sat Phone users look here!

Went for a long walk a couple weekends ago on a sunny day.
    My Sat Phone is always in my pack.
    Got up in the Chugach and got into a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR. For about 3 hours.
    When I got back to my truck my pack was holding water and my sat phone was soaked through and through. I mean water poured out when I took the battery off the back!

Panic was an understatement. I mean $1300 is alot of money to spend TWICE, right?

If this happens to you, do the following:

1) DO NOT turn it on. DO NOT turn it on. Your remaining charge in the battery will FRY the phone and it will be garbage.
    2) Remove the battery and sim card.
    3) Get all visible moisture out of the phone with a dry cloth.
    4) Place the phone, battery and sim card ABOVE your hot water heater, FACE DOWN.
    5) Leaave it there for at least a week.

After a week, re-assemble it and turn it on.
    It should work fine. Mine did! I was shocked and pleasantly surprised.

Good to get lucky from time to time!!

I have done the same thing only instead of air drying I have put it in uncooked minute rice. The rice draws the moisture out .

Either way that's good info.

[QUOTE=Marc Taylor;974986]Went for a long walk a couple weekends ago on a sunny day.
    My Sat Phone is always in my pack.
    Got up in the Chugach and got into a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR. For about 3 hours.
    When I got back to my truck my pack was holding water and my sat phone was soaked through and through. I mean water poured out when I took the battery off the back!

I lost a Sat phone after getting it wet several different times until I got a 10 ml dry bag with a little purge valve on its side. light weight and Problem Solved!
    I use two for my video camera when on a Long Trip with a Base Camp. One I keep at camp with a large sized moisture absorbent bag in it, the other I use for the camera when out in the field. A night I dry as much moisture off of the camera as possible and store it in the camp bag with the moisture absorb. I try to wipe out any moisture I might would have in the filed bag from pulling and returning the camera to the bag during the dag. No more miss opportunities due to camera moisture for me :-).
    Try this it works great!

Good tricks to know, however I double bag mine in ziplock bags.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Those work too! I just have less problems with the bags coming open. I tried Ziplock's for a while but I did not have a lot of luck with them.

I thought mabe you were going to tell us you rent them now or something. A seasoned outdoorsman like yourself just throws a $1300 phone in your pack? Happy to hear you got it dried out. I had an old cell phone that went into the wash machine a couple times and was able to dry it out. Thanks for the info.

Default sat phone

otter Box or Pelican case they give with it usually works..... if that doesn't work, then.....they should be buying you a new phone,

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    otter Box or Pelican case they give with it usually works..... if that doesn't work, then.....they should be buying you a new phone,
    Yep. Only place I keep my sat phone isin a waterproof case. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Yep, all my electronics go in ziplock bags (the ones with the "gripper zipper"). Hard cases are cool but take up room and are heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    Yep, all my electronics go in ziplock bags (the ones with the "gripper zipper"). Hard cases are cool but take up room and are heavy...
    Ziploc bags will get condensated despite their water proof ability, pelican or otter boxes are the way to go...its worth the weight.

Dang Taylor! That would've sucked. Glad you revived it, but I KNOW you knew better...

Never leave home without 'em. Weight be dammed!

Tell the truth... Your growler from Midnight Sun leaked in your pack and soaked your phone.

My turn on 7/28.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

does wiggy's now carry waterproof sat phone cases?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A dry box would be ideal to keep everything together, but a waterproof case like this would work well for hikes:
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2&pdeptid=1927

thanks for sharing marc. I think your slipping you old jarhead, you know better will be stopping by to see you soon. less than 60 days till the hunt, have the coffee ready.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I like to learn everything the hard way (jarhead) once. But once I've learned something it's hard to catch me on it again!

Just threw the phone in as an afterthought on a hot, sunny day in Indian. Unfortunately, once we got into the pass, it was Carolina rainstorm...

Yep, never again. Very happy that I got a full recovery.

Taylor

Good advice Marc. My kids are always washing their Ipods in the laundry. If you don't turn them on and let them sit in a tupperware container of rice for a week, they will function with no problem. We have one that has been washed three times now. The last one we put in one of those moisture removing buckets you buy to put in your RV while it's in storage. That had it functioning in 24 hrs.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

An alternative to the water heater is a hair dryer set to blow warm, or better yet unheated air into the phone. Not hot!

Balance the phone upright and faced toward the hair dryer 2-3' away, far enough you can feel air movement at the phone, but not so close you feel a blast of air. Takes a couple or three hours to dry it completely.

The best tip for new cell phones is cover the little white water sensor(s) with a piece of good clear packing tape. This will do nothing to protect your phone against damage, but it could help you later..... think
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast