Thread: 18' crestliner skiff enough for haines/juneau??

Default 18' crestliner skiff enough for haines/juneau??

I just bought a crestliner sportsman 18' with a 40hp tiller,added a bilge pump.Would it be enough boat for halibut fishing around haines and out of juneau around admiralty island area's?? or is it simply to small..?

thanks

Not familiar with the Haines area, but you'll be fine in Juneau. Just don't plan too many trips to Icy Strait for halibut. Those 18 ft. crestliners are good solid skiffs. I've put a few through the loops and while I might have gotten a little wet, I never felt in danger. Just watch the marine forecast as with any boating and you'll be fine.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

probably not a good idea then to run from juneau to hoonah fishing with such a small boat.I have never fished around juneau for halibut but was considering taking the ferry to juneau and trying to find some spots close by to use my and
    crestliner to put some halibut in the freezer.

thanks

There's plenty of days you could make a run like that but you'd really have to choose wisely. Plenty of halibut spots within easy boating distance from Juneau.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

That is an awesome boat for Juneau or Haines. I live in Juneau and my folks have a cabin in Haines so I am familiar with the areas. What brand is your 40 hp? I saw a really nice Crestliner for sale in Junea recently 18' 40hp Suzuki rear console... I might invest in a canvas dodger on the bow good for rain, and for escaping the sun. Enjoy!

Sobie2