Thread: Air compressor for truck tires, etc.

Default Air compressor for truck tires, etc.

Hi, I'm in the market for a reliable, portable air compressor for inflating tires; specifically LT (light truck) tires on my pick-up. It seems like all of the small ones I've seen are cheap junk, and only work on passenger tires inflated around 35psi or less. I need something that would reliably inflate LT tires to 60psi, without buying some really expensive unit that would just be overkill. I also need it to be portable, with a 120V cord and plug to power it at home in the garage and a 12V option to plug it into the cigarette lighter in my truck to inflate a low tire in the field. Can anyone recommend such a model that has worked well for them? Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

black and decker air station. bout $50 also had an auto shut off feature when you set the psi you want.

Home Depot sells one with a jumping station for bout $99.

Quality? Hit custom truck in Wasilla. I also recommend their plug/patch kit. Best Ive seen.

Just a FWIW. Back in the 60's we used to do a lot of beach running with trucks. No such thing as portable compressors then, and sometimes the sand was okay with no load, but would put you axle deep with heavy loads. The solution was to let most of the air out of your tires. Of course, you needed to get the air back in once you got off the beach.

We had rigs that were an air hose and tire nozzle, plus a small fixture that let us pull a spark plug and screw the hose directly into the block. Filled a truck tire real quick, and especially with a V8 you couldn't even tell a plug had been pulled. Even with a hose long enough to reach trailer tires, it coiled and fit under the seat of the truck.

You never see or hear of them today, but they sure worked. Wish I could remember the details on those fittings. A buddy of mine made them up for us, but I don't recall if the fitting was something he made, or something he bought off the shelf.

I use a 120 volt Compresser that I bought at a local hardware store. I power it with a 1500 watt power inverter. It will pump up to 100 psi.

We used to take a old spark plug and bust off the center piece. Then weld a hose barb on the plug. You could screw it into the cylinder far enough with the hose attached to pump up tires. That was the good old days.

I built a road tripping machine when I first came to Alaska as a young man on a budget. I decided to gear down the transfer case, install a rear-locking select-able rear locker. a small lift, warn locking hubs, a heavy sway bar kit, and slightly lager tires(which was not a problem for the 4.56 gears). The only problem with the select-able locker was that it needed air to run. The ARB air compressor that I chose was great for airing up the tires, and powering the locker. It wouldn't work with an impact wrench though, too small. The compressor gets bolted under your hood with a switch running to your dash board. Find a spare knock out where there is no accessory, and run it there.

I'm a big fan of ARB products. The Australians are sensible folks who build rigs for long range safari work and good fuel mileage. They are sensible about everything, not like some of the cheap block lifted trucks with huge tires, expensive exausts, weak brush guards, without a single scratch on the paint, no gears, no lockers and no winch. But $5000 or more of senseless bling that contributed nothing to utility, and ruined a good work truck. I apologize for the rant if it offended someone, I'm just purely utility with everything that I use, I blaim it on my father for being a heavy critic of anything stupid when you're young!

Here is the compressor I used:
    http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Compressors/19.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by waterbustn' View Post
    black and decker air station. bout $50 also had an auto shut off feature when you set the psi you want.
    Bought one of these at Lowe's in Wasilla a couple weeks ago for $20. Seemed like a good idea for a back-up. They had a few on clearance.
    Drink indigenous.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I built a road tripping machine when I first came to Alaska as a young man on a budget. I decided to gear down the transfer case, install a rear-locking select-able rear locker. a small lift, warn locking hubs, a heavy sway bar kit, and slightly lager tires(which was not a problem for the 4.56 gears). The only problem with the select-able locker was that it needed air to run. The ARB air compressor that I chose was great for airing up the tires, and powering the locker. It wouldn't work with an impact wrench though, too small. The compressor gets bolted under your hood with a switch running to your dash board. Find a spare knock out where there is no accessory, and run it there.

I'm a big fan of ARB products. The Australians are sensible folks who build rigs for long range safari work and good fuel mileage. They are sensible about everything, not like some of the cheap block lifted trucks with huge tires, expensive exausts, weak brush guards, without a single scratch on the paint, no gears, no lockers and no winch. But $5000 or more of senseless bling that contributed nothing to utility, and ruined a good work truck. I apologize for the rant if it offended someone, I'm just purely utility with everything that I use, I blaim it on my father for being a heavy critic of anything stupid when you're young!

Here is the compressor I used:
    http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Compressors/19.aspx
    Yup ARB, justs works even at -40, tried it this morning in the parking lot.

This is why I still drive a 77 fj40. Shes rusty cold and squeaks but the chugs down the road even when I don't want to.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.